VIC PPOR in Hoppers Crossing

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sam2607, 12th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sam2607

sam2607 Member

Hi Folks,

I have recently secured my pre-approval and have started inspecting properties in the Melbourne west areas like Hoppers crossing, Truganina etc. I came across these two properties advertised for auction in upcoming weeks. I need advice on if I have to put an offer which one is better - my thoughts on them are as below -

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-hoppers+crossing-138709131
    Pros -
    - Near to train station
    - Recently painted
    Cons -
    - In front of a road that goes into a cul de sac, does it have any impact??
    - Open garage
    - Kitchen and cupboards will need a reno
    - Unconditional offer required

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-hoppers+crossing-138556655
    Pros -
    -In Cambridge school zone
    - Big backyard possible STCA
    - Subject to finance offer
    Cons
    - In front of a road that goes into a cul de sac, does it have any impact??
    - Kitchen would need a reno and has only one bath
    - Less storage, though can build something temporary in backyard

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to change the title to "Hoppers Crossing" as "West Melbourne" is a suburb in its own right (postcode 3003)

The Y-man

sam2607 likes this.
  3. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Only you can say which one's better. Do you need to be within walking distance of the train or school? Is your finance 100% sorted before going into auction? Are you okay with renoing and a single bath? If subdivision is in your mind, go with the 2nd one (make sure you do read up on a lot of things - the s32, council's website for approved/declined applications, surrounding subdivisions are good places to start). @hieund85 used to live somewhere there and maybe can confirm which pocket's better. Generally, further from trains is better/safer, but it 'depends'.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. sam2607

sam2607 Member

Thanks @Westie , just found out that there is a substation next to the second property with easements going through the backyard for electrical wiring. So probably not going with it.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Since it's a PPOR, go with the one you prefer.

sam2607 and Marg4000 like this.
  6. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

The Cambridge estate is generally better (cleaner, quieter, safer), more desirable for families with kids going to primary schools, closer to Pacific Werribee). But there are always good streets and not so good streets in any area. The no.1 property is also in a reasonable pocket of the Woodville estate within walking distance to the train station.

rnadella and The Y-man like this.
  7. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Did you compare with other areas such as Werribee & Point Cook.
    I found the area around Wattle street and Tower streets are nicer areas to live. Close to Shops, Transport ( trains and Skybus) and Wyndham park.
    Hoppers crossing area has so much old properties and the land value have already appreciated in my view. Those houses are old and cold in Winter. Used to be a nightmare to cross the rail crossing which is probably finished by now.
    Manor lakes area also good to live and has a train station connecting Geelong & Southern Cross station.

8. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I would assume you were talking about Wattle Avenue not Wattle St. That area is a premium one, very nice streets, good to luxury homes, but you pay big money for it. I would not agree that properties in Hoppers Crossing are all old. There are a lot of estates built in the 1980s and 1990s hence they are quite decent, much newer than the old properties in Werribee centre overall. Cambridge estate is an example. Of course, Mossfiled estate in Hoppers is old. As a I said, look at a particular area, not the whole surburb.

Regarding Point Cook, it is nice, newer homes but very crowded in some pockets with lots of small size blocks. There are good pockets but again price there is not cheap, way more expensive than a comparable one in Werribee or Hoppers (e.g., area around Alamanda P9). One thing to note is it is a big big pain to get out of Point Cook during morning peak hour. It takes a long time for you to get to the freeway or to get to Laverton or Williams Landing train stations. Make sure you check it before you buy if you need to go to the city to work everyday.

jbv and kevilian like this.
  9. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

Also checkout seabrook. Higher than hoppers crossing but nice community feel and reasonably priced IMO.

10. Pottz

Pottz New Member

Without knowing your budget I’d say target south werribee side rather than hoppers - near werribee secondary college (Duncan’s rd). Granted you may have to pay more, but it’s a much nicer area, bigger blocks and mix of older to newer houses. Depends on your personal circumstances - EG: work, kids, budget, school choices, etc..

Wouldn’t touch Truganina area - I still remember when it was just paddocks and now it’s every man and his dog on tiny blocks, kit style houses, with road infrastructure playing catch up still. My person opinion as someone who’s lived here since 2004.

jbv, kevilian and rnadella like this.