VIC PPOR focusing on public school quality under 1 mil

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by propertynewbie, 10th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. propertynewbie

propertynewbie Active Member

Hi all,

Been living in western suburbs for a long time (Pt cook + Caroline Springs). It's been fine for myself & my wife until now with the additional member of the family, we are trying to find a new PPOR with a better rank public school catchment. Our current properties are in the catchment of 70ish rating shool in better education.

Criteria:
    1. Under 1 mil
    2. A house (not unit/TH if possible) or at least something with no shared driveway & not wall to wall with the neighbours
    3. Good public school/catholic school catchment (if possible 90+ bettereducation ranking) up until year 12
    4. 30kms would be the max from the city (I'm working from home but to future proof things)
    5. Preferably renovated & liveable (once we buy the property we might be maxed out & wouldn't be able to renovate it until few years)
    6. Easy access to asian groceries & shops

Been doing research, and with our budget, probably we could get:
    1. Macleod/Rosanna/Viewbank area
    2. Wantirna/Wantirna South
    3. Mulgrave

The plan is to keep our current PPOR & convert it to IP.

Any other recommendation or experience in regards of school in those area?

2. Mouse

Mouse Active Member

For the Viewbank school zone add parts of Yallambie to the list.
    Totally doable to get a 3/1/1 on a ~600-700sqm block that needs minor work like a fresh lick of paint and nothing more on the inside in Yallambie parts in the Zone (think of 900k budget), or with more luck you might score, some more rundown places in Viewbank, but they likely to be close to $1m and will need more work. Stay away from properties directly under future North East Link tunnels or adjacent to Greensborough Rd as this place will be quite busy in the next 6-8 years.

On Mulgrave, I am assuming you are looking at Wellington Secondary? Parts of Springvale are in the zone, where you can find a block under $700k, knock it down and build a brand new but not too fancy 4br house. The only risk is though - Sandown Racecourse is getting rezoned and it will create a significant oversupply in the future. Also, it will not improve the transport links at all, unlike NEL in the North-East, so for capital growth, I'd stick with Viewbank and thereabouts, it's just 13km from the CBD and 25min on an express train to Flinders St from Rosanna station

Not sure about good public schools in Wantirna. I believe they've got a few good Catholic schools but public schools are not as good as say adjacent (and more pricey) Vermont

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2022
  3. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

Why not in PC itself? Alamanda school zone ?