NSW PPOR FHB Where to buy for 1.3M in Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jamesw, 21st Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jamesw

jamesw New Member

Hi everyone, we have been actively looking to purchase our first home in Sydney.
    Moving interstate is not an option because of family reasons and we are also not looking to rentvest.

Our budget is 1.3M, we have 350k savings and we can borrow up to 1M (pre-approved).

We work from home and no plans to have children in the near future.

These are our search criteria (in order of importance):
    1. Safe neighbour
    2. Free standing house with some backyard (400m2+)
    3. The house doesn't need major renovations
    4. Close to public transport (bus or train within 15 minutes walk) and within 1 hour commute to city
    5. Potential for capital growth, we're looking to sell in 5 years

At first we were looking at Arncliffe, Revesby and surrounds (St. George area) but was priced out.
    We found cheaper properties in Lalor Park, Seven Hills and Blacktown - only concern is the safety of these suburbs.

Any recomended suburbs?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What are you planning to do in 5 years? Upgrading? Moving to another city?

3. jamesw

jamesw New Member

It's not a solid plan yet and we are looking to relocate overseas in 5 years

4. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I'm biased as of last year but I am big on Lalor Park and Blacktown.

Lalor Park is still ~12-15% housing commission but it is fast going down, down and down.
    Its an up & coming gentrified area and you could get a nicely renovated (new-ish) houses on a big block of land in your budget with some spare cash left over for renovations in the future.

In terms of Driving, Lalor Park will see you in Wynyard in <30 minutes when taking the M2 on a weekend. Weekdays almost double that but it's still good.

Public transport wise you have Seven Hills station a close 5 minutes drive and a bunch of city-bound buses coming in on the East side of Lalor Park on the T-Way and on the South Side through Abbott Road. These will get you to the city in < 45 minutes.

In my eyes, with the infrastructure already there - it's much better value than buying in a new estate like Box Hill or Marsden Park.

jamesw likes this.
  5. Propertyquestions

Propertyquestions Well-Known Member

I might be biased too because I live here - but constitution hill and Toongabbie meet your criteria (from my experience anyway)

1. Safe - very quiet, mostly families. There is a small portion of housing commission but that’s mainly in one area around constitution rd

2/3. You can get freestanding 500m2 houses in reasonable condition for your budget for 1.2-1.3 mill (although prices are climbing)

4. 15 minute bus or train ride (Toongabbie station) to parramatta cbd or 40min-1hr train ride to Sydney cbd

5. Potential for capital growth due to proximity to developing parramatta cbd

jamesw likes this.
  6. chaos

chaos Active Member

I heard from Martin North's show that Constitution Hill is among those suburbs that are under mortgage pressure.

7. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

8. chaos

chaos Active Member

9. Propertyquestions

Propertyquestions Well-Known Member

Can you share the link to the show/ podcast?
    Where are the stats from on suburbs with mortgage pressure? Interested to look into it
    Thank you!

10. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Ppl keep talking about safety. What exactly are you worried about in Lalor Park, Seven Hills and Blacktown? Yet your looking in Arncliffe, Revesby which is right next to Bankstown and Punchbowl. LOL

Like I've said 1000s of times - there is not a single suburb in the ENTIRE of Sydney that is unsafe. If you think any suburb in Sydney is unsafe don't even bother travelling overseas to America, South America, Many South East Asian countries, Middle East etc.....

I seriously wonder sometimes if ppl are really that sheltered their entire life. Some of the stuff I've seen and witnessed you guys have no chance in life if something serious was to happen and a bit of street smarts was required.

RyanB and Never giveup like this.
  11. chaos

chaos Active Member

I can't remember which episode (you'll need to watch backwards a couple of months), here is the Nov 2021 survey stats.

12. Fejioa

Fejioa Member

Look at Kings Langley. I bought there last October for 1.3M