PPOR enhancement

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Dan Donoghue, 18th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Hi all, so I have an idea for our PPOR.

As you come in the front door, there is a pillar that comes out about 50 CM then goes back in to the level of the wall.

I am thinking of getting a false wall built at this depth from the wall all the way down the lounge room, it will end at the window frame perfectly so it will look like it is just part of the house.

Then in the false wall I want to recess a book case, a spot for the TV then below that a spot for playstation / stereo / foxtel box etc, Also recess a bar and possible a feature artwork spot.

Once all this is done I want to put soft glowing LED strip lighting in or even feature soft glowing spotlights.

We will lose 50 CM of real estate in the lounge but that real estate is currently occupied by a TV cabinet so it's no real loss as that will be thrown out.

My question is will this detract from my property when it comes to sell or will it not even be noticed? I am thinking that when I have it built I might just mention to the gyprockers that I want it to be built with possible removal in mind down the track, that way when we do come to sell we can explain that it can be removed easily.

Any spare spots in the recess would be turned into storage with push panel doors on so it's nice and invisible.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Whilst not being able to view the floor plans of your layout, I can get the gist of what you are saying and I would be against it. There is a reason that these types of things are not normally done and that is because space is absolutely key. You may be losing 50cm as you say, but over how long a distance? You are taking a few square metres off your living space to add something that will not add value (i can assure you) and taking away the flexibility of the space. If we are talking resale, and we are as you mentioned it, then purchasers no longer have any choice about where to put the TV or how to lay the place out in the way in which best suits the way that they live. I see this type of thing from time to time and I always cringe and ask why? Spend your money on something that will add value to your property such as INCREASING your living space, built in wardrobes, update the facade, the gardens etc. TV cabinets are a thing of the past, don't build one into your home. Hang your TV on the wall so that you can see as much of the floor as possible. Being able to see floor space gives the illusion of a larger area- and it just feels nicer. Hence the move to wall hung vanities, toilets, tv's etc. Floor space = feeling of spaciousness. Don't take it away!

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

All good points Inov8ive, thanks for your comments :)