QLD PPOR Brisbane 2021 - What are good neighbourghoods

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Vish07, 7th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vish07

Vish07 Member

Hi All,

We are looking to move to Brisbane from Melbourne and need some suggestions. Most of our family and friends live in south-east Brisbane and so we were hoping to get something around there. The budget is up to 1Mill (buy existing modern or build brand-new, 5 bedrooms with 2 master-bedroom, pool), we are considering for school when we have kids in the near future and a good neighbourhood also to bring up kids.

Some suburbs I have looked up but still a bit confused, Rochedale South, Underwood and Daisy Hill, Browns Plains. (I seem to have missed the boat on Rochedale and many other upper south-east suburbs, small lots and high prices. I was hoping for 550 - 600+ Sqm Land.

I would love your suggestions on the suburbs mentioned (especially Rochedale South) above or other suburbs that I may not be aware of, I am heading to Brisbane in April to look around. I was also hoping to achieve some capital growth in the next 10 years.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Your budget is very healthy, no need to restrict yourself to those suburbs.

Rochedale South - ugly duckling suburb compared to Rochedale. Already experiencing capital growth. You won't need $1Mill, perhaps $600K. Good transport connections.

Daisy Hill has plenty of ppl who like it, pricey for what you get, and further from CBD. Your budget is better than Browns Plains - that is really 400k territory. Underwood is OK, but I prefer Rochedale South.

Carina (and Carina Hts) is nice. Camp Hill is getting pricey, also nice.

Tarragindi is very nice, $1Mill should get you something. Already boomed though .... :-(

Add in Springwood if you are looking Rochedale South, Daisy Hill. Nothing wrong with Springwood.

You have lots of options. I think you can get the land size you want in your budget OK.

Parkzilla, Vish07, Shazi and 2 others like this.
  3. Vish07

Vish07 Member

Thanks heaps. That really helps, I think I'll also be able to get a better picture on ground once there. I'll add those suburbs on my list too.

4. boganfromlogan

Have a sneaky look at Priestdale too, larger blocks more $$ and they very rarely come up.

Vish07 and Shazi like this.
  5. boganfromlogan

Do you know Brisbane at all?

6. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

Rochedale South and Daisy Hill are good options. I think Browns Plains is a completely different suburb to the others that you've mentioned. You could look at Shailer Park, Mackenzie, Wishart.

Vish07 and boganfromlogan like this.
  7. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

I'll throw out a few suggestions.

Firstly, a few of those suburbs (Underwood, Daisy Hill, parts of Rochdale) are in Logan City Council and will be cheaper than Brisbane City Council. Parts of Rochdale that are in Brisbane City Council region are much more expensive than parts in Logan area. Some suburbs that are a few extra kms out can really add to commute times significantly but depends on where you work etc. Are you looking for public school catchments or private school? This could substantially change areas that may suit you.

Where about are you going to be working?

Places I'd look into:
    - Carindale - might need to add 100k to the budget to reach your brief or be prepared to find a 4 bed/2 bath. Parts of Carindale are in the Mansfield state school catchment - a good public school. Lots of modern large houses here.
    - Belmont or Mackenzie - Good bang for buck for newer style houses and many 5bed/2-3bath. These areas have less public transport options than say Carindale but still well connected and good family areas.
    - Camp hill - great area but there are far more older style houses than newer builds. Also will push the budget for a newer house. Post war unrenovated houses on approx 600m2 not on a main road are selling for around 900k.
    - Carina - A more affordable suburb given proximity to cbd but there are mostly post war and old ex-housing commission houses. There are less new builds particularly with 5 bed. So although the suburb may be in price range the type of stock generally is different to what you seem to be after. Would be worth keeping a lookout for if something comes up that fits what you want though.
    - Mansfield, Mt Gravatt, Mt Gravatt East, Upper Mount Gravatt - easy access to city, mixed older/newer houses. Some parts are more expensive than others if they have potential for views and/or in Mansfield State School catchment.
    - If you are looking out towards Logan and therefore proximity to cbd is not a priority then, you could also consider out towards the bay - Tingalpa, Wynnum West, Wynnum. I think $1 Mil will go a long way here and it's still Brisbane City Council region. The trade off is you can get more house for being a little bit further out or intead you can choose to have less house (or more $$) and be closer in.

Vish07, gman65 and Firefly99 like this.
  8. Vish07

Vish07 Member

I just had a look on the map, seems a lot more foresty but ill have a look anyway since ill driving through those areas! Thank you

boganfromlogan likes this.
  9. boganfromlogan

This is the craziness i don't understand. Go further to Wynnum West (Yuk) so you have the privelege of paying more rates to BrisCity rather than less rates to LoganCity? Who cares about being inside this imaginary boundary!! Be closer to the city at Rochedale S, pay less rates. !!

Vish07 likes this.
  10. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Concur with this post

perhaps also look at Salisbury, Coopers Plains.

something like this?
    20 Marfayley Street, Salisbury, Qld 4107
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-salisbury-135551702

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2021
    Vish07 likes this.
  11. boganfromlogan

Apples with Apples comparison.

Qld Police Service Brisbane region offences in the last quarter: 22,755 (Bris LGA 20,801)

Logan region offences in last quarter: 6,875 (Logan LGA 6622)

Vish07 likes this.
  12. Sezy22

Sezy22 Active Member

Check the schools you want to send your kids too, with all of Victoria moving to Qld there has been complaints of over crowded class rooms in Brisbane this year.

Vish07 likes this.
  13. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

I'd never thought I'd like to hear these kind of things but it just shows how strong Brisbane is set to grow in the next several years. Its got alot of catching up to do to even become as expensive as Syd/Melb but every week I'm hearing about more and more families moving up to Brissy.

I now am aware personally of 3 families from Sydney moving to Brisbane over the Easter break. They just realised how much more their money gets up there. Its a no brainer if you have a job that will allow you to move.

Its wonderful to hear as an investor in Brisbane and I'm sure its music to many other ppl on here who have invested in Brisbane for 10+ years already. Its about time their patience is about to be paid off.

Brisbane is undervalued. Even at the current prices and the good 2 months we've had its still way undervalued compared to what you can get for similar money in Sydney/Melb.

Vish07 and boganfromlogan like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Inala around the Bogo Rd Estate.

Seriously though, around Sunnybank Plaza and thereabouts.

Vish07 likes this.
  15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to say Sunnybank too. Or maybe Macgregor so I'd be within walking distance to Westfields and a huge bus station.

Vish07 and Angel like this.
  16. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Goodna....:D just kidding

Vish07 likes this.
  17. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

You would not be moving to Brisbane, you would be moving to Logan.

Where are you going to work? If it is in the city, getting there from Logan is a nightmare

Vish07 likes this.
  18. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I know those words, but that makes no sense.

BB5 and Noobieboy like this.
  19. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Hahaha... I think this is a good one

20. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Budget up to $1m...

Why are we even discussing Logan?

doubleshot, Lacrim, Vish07 and 3 others like this.