VIC PPOR Areas -Braybrook/Sunshine Townhouse or Home in Diggers Rest

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bonvij, 8th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bonvij

Bonvij New Member

Hi all,

As per the headline - I am a FHB (25m) with a budget of about $550-625k. Does anyone have thoughts on which would be the best option in terms of CG and best bang for buck.

Braybrook, Sunshine, Albion etc 2-3 bedroom townhouse OR
    Building a brand new home in Diggers Rest

Braybrook as an area looks promising in terms of gentrification and major developments occurring such as Airport Train Station stemming from Sunshine, Bike path developments and general investments in the Sunshine plaza and many new housing developments.

Diggers Rest, Sunbury - Has seen many new residents recently and housing developments are pretty red hot. Do people think this area (particularly Diggers Rest) see further expansion and price rises over a townhouse in Braybrook in the future.

As a FHB I am new to this space and am really keen build up as much knowledge as I can before making a commitment.

Thanks in advance!

2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Sunshine is nice (particularly Matthews Hill, the area south of Monash St). Braybrook is rough as guts. I like Diggers Rest and Sunbury and for a first PPOR with all the grants you could do worse. Those areas have been growing well. Build your house properly with 2.7m ceilings, eaves and full brick including above the windows. Out of your two options I would pick this, over a styrofoam townhouse with minimal land value.

3. Gerry.M

Gerry.M Member

I used to think the same about Braybrook since I grew up on the east side of Melb and always had a negative view of anything west of the city. My sister in law has lived in Braybrook for the past 7yrs and in all the time visiting there my attitude has changed a lot. I take my kids and hers to the park when we visit, walk to local shops and restaurants (Churchill St) and have gotten to know her neighbours. There's plenty of ex-commission places there but they usually get knocked down for multiple townhouses being built in their place. I'm sure in the 80's and 90's it probably wasn't somewhere you'd want to live, but things do change.