VIC PPOR Advice

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by zed_kid, 14th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just after some advice on a PPOR. I’ve laid out a couple of scenarios below.

Scenario 1.

Purchase price 1.1m – all cash gone towards 10% deposit + stamp duty + LMI + fees

Serviceability – will be under 33% of take home income on IO loan + offset the rest of take home pay (after bills)

Location – Ascot Vale, Moonee Pods, Essendon

Pros – Large PPOR asset base, premium suburbs, if prices continue to boom tax free CG

Cons – if prices stagnate no funds to invest further. If interest rates go up could get dicey

Scenario 2.

Purchase price 0.8m – 10% deposit + stamp duty + LMI + fees

Serviceability – will be under 22% of take home income on IO loan + offset the rest of take home pay (after bills) + money in the offset from lower purchase price.

Location – Pascoe Vale (that’s really all I’ve been looking at in that price range) Maybe West Footscray?

Pros – money in the offset from lower purchase price. Can invest further or renovate / add value. Less fear of rate increase

Cons – less tax free CG, ego hit due to lesser suburb

I feel like 2 is the safe bet, but I also would like to just buy a nice PPOR and forget about investing for a while and enjoy more work/life balance in a nice house/suburb. Although investing really doesn’t take much out of me as I actually like it.

Thoughts?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

What's your actual servicing like? You may find you can't actually borrow as much as you think. The banks don't work on percentages, so it would be worth finding out your borrowing capacity before you get too far ahead.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Approved for 1.3m but that’s scenario 3, I’m not comfortable with borrowing that much, also won’t have enough cash for 10% + stamps etc.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Don't forget to factor in repairs you didn't plan on or other "issues"....

Going for broke on a PPOR could be quite stressful if there is something waiting for you to fix.

radson likes this.
  5. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Scenario 4 - Rent in Location – Ascot Vale, Moonee Pods, Essendon and invest somewhere else without getting PPOR emotions muddled with your 'investment' considerations.

Beelzebub likes this.
  6. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Working on getting my partner over the line with this one.

7. daiwaqa

daiwaqa Member

with 1.1m, you will struggle to find a nice PPOR in Ascot Vale, Moonee Pods, Essendon if you are searching for house.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia