QLD Power surge protection unit

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Alex AB, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

My PM said it’s quite common with power surge during summer storm season in QLD and suggest me to install a power surge protection unit for my IP in Brisbane. This is to protect any power surge that can damage electrical appliances. I don’t actually remember if I have this for my PPOR! Sounds reasonable to me to install it though.

Do you normally have this for your IP, especially in Brisbane?

It costs around $400.

Thanks.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Has your PM provided any evidence of there being a possible power surge? Perhaps a report by an electrician would help to confirm if there is any power surge to begin with.

if it is simply from perspective of good to have, ask your PM if they are receiving any kickbacks from the surge protection installer?

charlie01 likes this.
  3. Alex AB

The surge is only when there is a big storm / lightning during summer time. No issue with normal weather / power line. Based on your reply, seems not quite needed / common for you guys to install it then?

4. momentum26

I haven’t installed it, nor have been advised to do so. If not urgent then you can use that $400 towards paying your rates.

5. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

Did your PM recommend a particular supplier/installer to you?

6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

No, it's an odd request but you know, LL's are so wealthy they just throw money out the door, lol!

You would only need one on electrical items with electronics, say a dishwasher or electric roller door. You could buy cheaper units that go straight of powerpoints for individual items.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I finally installed a single surge protector plug in for the power point for my treadmill and for my computer just as the big storm was rolling in a few days ago. I don't think we have one on our powerboard because a couple of years ago we lost our brand new landline phone and something else (can't remember what) when lightening struck a nearby transformer (I think). Now I protect the things I really don't want to lose.

Shazz@ and Antoni0 like this.
  8. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I'd look at it as preventative maintenance as it reduces downtime and cost later if an event was to occur without this. In saying that, the event would probably be covered by your insurance, but it could be days or weeks the Tenant is without varying levels of power in the property waiting on electricians and insurers to carry out repairs etc. which then causes other headaches.

9. Alex AB

Thanks all.

Yes, the PM has an offer from electrical company to do this, so it is possible that they want to expand the business instead.

Teri Scheer landlord insurance seems to cover these power surge damages to appliances due to lighting so I am covered somewhat (with a low excess I have too). Does not seem that common so I will skip this for now.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Valhiem

Valhiem Active Member

Seems very strange, the residential units wouldn't help much at all if the house is struck by lightning or if lightning strikes close to the house and for any other types of surges the tenant should be able to purchase an external surge protector/power board to cover themselves if required.

momentum26 likes this.
  11. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I knew that, it's called Conflict of Interest, just like my PM warned me that if I don't use their smoke alarm man's service, their smoke alarm man would refuse to service my smoke alarms which are installed by someone else.

momentum26 likes this.
  12. momentum26

Thought as much. Their offer means additional kickbacks to their business in otherwords.

Like you they would’ve pitched this to each of their landlord. Small portion will not take up on their offer, but most would accept in good faith.

13. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

I'd see it as risk management to protect YOUR aircons, dishwasher etc. Get a price from another sparky if you don't think it is reasonable.

Tools

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia