Power Pole relocation

Discussion in 'Development' started by ohlewis, 8th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ohlewis

ohlewis Member

Hi guys,
    Currently doing feasibility research for my mothers block as we are looking to build a duplex (side by side) two storey townhouse.

Block is decent size, 719sqm (around 15.7m wide x 45m deep).

Current driveway/carriageway is on the LHS of the property, and ideally want to build the second driveway on the far RHS, however we have a lovely power pole which is in the way.

United Energy have told me their tolerance for distance from driveway/crossover is 750mm to 1000mm.

Council have told me the access way needs to be between 2700mm - 3000mm and then have the crossover splay out a further 1000mm to 1300mm.

If I measure to the edge of the property, I have 3200mm currently. THis means if we build the driveway to the 3000mm width, the pole is only 200mm away.

Using the council tolerance of 2700mm, this still puts the pole 500mm from the edge of the cross over, and still under the 750mm to 1000mm range.

Our neighbour has a driveway next to where we would be proposing ours, and in fact they have 960mm of unused naturestrip before their driveway starts.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and has some advice, as the total quote at this point to move the pole, do a pole to pit conversion, move optus/Telstra services etc etc is looking at around $30k - $35k total spend.

I'm also wondering if we can somehow utilize some of the neighbours crossover or unused naturestrip to count as part of ours (shared carriageway etc) so that we can fit within the range provided by United Energy.

63 Kennedy Street power pole mark up.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Come out of the side laneway - it'll save you $100k

3. ohlewis

ohlewis Member

Side laneway?

4. Scott No Mates

Oops! On closer inspection, that's your neighbour's driveway. :oops:

neK, Sackie and ohlewis like this.
  5. ohlewis

ohlewis Member

Yep lol, don't think they would approve that haha

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Sorry, am I missing something? Assuming that both driveways are 3m each, that leaves you less than 10m for the buildings, which seems pretty narrow.

7. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

GetRIDof5CENTpiece Well-Known Member

Do you mean to completely remove the pole or move it... and if the later to where?

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

that could be in the magnitude of 30K-70K . These companies need to earn profits for their commie owners

noneother likes this.
  9. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

Yes. Each garage will sit on the boundary line so each duplex will effectively have ~7.85m frontage. Extremely common and more then enough street frontage/house size/land for both townhouses.

ohlewis likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

What's wrong with a shared central driveway or a left sided drive on both properties?

craigc, Joynz, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  11. ohlewis

ohlewis Member

This.....

We’d be looking at shifting the pole to the left of photo by about 500-700mm to appease council and United Energy.

Obviously if we can avoid moving it we are better off, as mentioned quotes have come in and looking at $30-$35k total

12. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

Well the electrical pit alone is $3-5K per property so you are paying ~$20-25K to move the poll to the left. IMO I don't know what other option you have. Sorry but I don't think your neighbour will be up the discussion about bringing the pole closer to their property.

13. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Isnt the distance measured from the centre of the pole? or the outer edge?

14. Big Daddy

Will they allow you to splay the driveway so its 2.5m at the entry then thickens out to 3m ?

wylie likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of one driveway that splits into two, but will it devalue the end product? You need to ask some local agents whether the end product with separate driveways (compared to a semi-shared one) is worth spending the big dollars to get the pole moved.

This is the type of thing...
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 5.45.22 pm.png

16. Scott No Mates

Have you considered that you will need an arborist's report to cut down that tree? :confused:

17. Big Daddy

I don't think you can cut it down. It has some live vines growing on it

18. Aygun

Aygun New Member

Ohlewis,

What did you end up doing with this project?

Did you end up paying the money to relocate the pole or used a shared driveway as suggested?

Aygun

QUOTE="ohlewis, post: 493488, member: 12396"]Hi guys,
    Currently doing feasibility research for my mothers block as we are looking to build a duplex (side by side) two storey townhouse.

Block is decent size, 719sqm (around 15.7m wide x 45m deep).

Current driveway/carriageway is on the LHS of the property, and ideally want to build the second driveway on the far RHS, however we have a lovely power pole which is in the way.

United Energy have told me their tolerance for distance from driveway/crossover is 750mm to 1000mm.

Council have told me the access way needs to be between 2700mm - 3000mm and then have the crossover splay out a further 1000mm to 1300mm.

If I measure to the edge of the property, I have 3200mm currently. THis means if we build the driveway to the 3000mm width, the pole is only 200mm away.

Using the council tolerance of 2700mm, this still puts the pole 500mm from the edge of the cross over, and still under the 750mm to 1000mm range.

Our neighbour has a driveway next to where we would be proposing ours, and in fact they have 960mm of unused naturestrip before their driveway starts.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and has some advice, as the total quote at this point to move the pole, do a pole to pit conversion, move optus/Telstra services etc etc is looking at around $30k - $35k total spend.

I'm also wondering if we can somehow utilize some of the neighbours crossover or unused naturestrip to count as part of ours (shared carriageway etc) so that we can fit within the range provided by United Energy.

View attachment 20110

Any help is greatly appreciated!!![/QUOTE]

19. Tom Nguyen

Tom Nguyen New Member

Hi, did you have an answer eventually?
    I have the same problem. If I measure to the edge of the property, I have 3800 mm to the power pole. Do you think I can open a new driveway? my house is in Glen Eira Council ( Melbourne)
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Tom