Power help please :-)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by moyjos, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

help please oh knowledgeable ones :)

I am considering an electrical appliance ( on eBay so I don't want you to know which one :) )

The listing states that it was bought in the US and "should" work with an adapter.
    I asked for a picture of the transformer box thing..

Now I am concerned that this won't work as the box thing states only 120V in.
    Would our 240V in mean this would get too hot and blow up??

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Now you got me so curious

3. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

:) I'll let you in on the secret if I get it :)

Xenia likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Our power is 240v @ 50 hertz. Voltage can be varied with a step down transformer but not the frequency of the cycle.

5. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

So this won't work?? I thought it was too risky?

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not an expert by any means. But my reading of it is that the appliance will work if you have the right adaptor. That's not the right adaptor but if you had the right size connection plug to the appliance and the output was 22V DC and .75 amp it should be OK. I don't know what sort of tolerance they have.

There are adaptors which have a selection of output plugs- go to your local Jaycar (preferably) or Dick Smith and get advice.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's a popcorn machine, isn't it :p.

I don't know if it helps, but I can send you our sparkie's number if you want to call a sparkie?

8. Scott No Mates

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2015
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Like Geoff said - you'd need to replace the DC adaptor with one which accepts a 240V / 50Hz power supply as input and outputs 22VDC with a minimum of 0.75A.

I had a quick look on Dick Smith and Jaycar websites and there's plenty of 12V and 24V options, but I can't see any 22V output options.

You also need to see what the output plug looks like (the bit that plugs into the device from the DC adaptor) - because you'll need to try and match them up.

Depending on the nature of the device, you could take a risk and run a 24V DC power supply into it - but it may kill the device or make it work incorrectly.

It's not a laptop is it? I found a few 22V DC power supplies for laptops, but that's a fairly unusual voltage requirement for other consumer devices in my experience.

That being said, 0.75A is a very low current draw for a laptop I would have thought - so I'm guessing not (or it's something old and low powered).

Something like this perhaps? http://www.jaycar.com.au/IT-Product...cts/12---22V-90W-Laptop-Power-Supply/p/MP3476

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2015
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But that's not directly applicable to the appliance. The output from the transformer in the picture shows a DC current. So the appliance doesn't operate directly from the mains. That would also mean it's a low current device so it's not a popcorn maker. Transformers typically run devices which could also be run by batteries, and said devices, being direct current (DC) rather than alternating current (AC) don't rely on or use a number of cycles in the power supply.

11. Scott No Mates

All of that becomes irrelevant if you just get a trannie which puts out 22DCV @ 0.75 amps.

12. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott. I have decided it is far too risky.. Thanks for the help

balwoges likes this.
  13. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

The appliance concerned is a iRobot "Dirt Dog" Vac for the factory :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111808496061?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have a roomba at home and it is FANTASTIC I have a friend in Tassie who has a dirt dog in their shed and this one popped up on ebay, and I thought it might be viable... but I have decided NO... I can keep pushing a broom :) ( or getting one of the boys to do it ) I may still get a cheapy robot vac to do my office. :)
    There is a Hoover one locally here on Gumtree, so I might go have a look at it in the morning :)

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You could try contacting the local distributor for iRobot and see if you can get a replacement power adaptor. Or perhaps if you have a local retailer who is particularly helpful, they might be able to source one for you.

These power adaptors get broken all the time - shouldn't be too hard to find a genuine one

15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Just get a 20V to 24V dc 1A power supply, should work fine.

It's a 19% increase of power. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

I know this is AC, but supply voltage in Australia is allowed to go up to 253V rms (and I've seen it much higher than that), which is an increase of 21%.

16. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

as @spludgey said it will be fine
    basically all the adapter does is takes 110v and steps it down to (by the sounds of it 22v DC)
    and dick smiths jaycar transformer for australia will work as long as you have it outputting a similar 22v DC with similar amps
    the Robot itself would be the same as the australian version just a different power pack

if it was an AC device like tv , washing machine etc then it would be more of a problem