Poverty is a State of Mind - Do you Agree?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

BV, did you watch Q and A this week? You might find it worth the hour of your day, and pleasantly surprisingly positive.

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I haven't watched Q&A in years;

It is a disgraceful program; completely Left biased, completely Leftwing stacked audience and panels, and the odd token Conservative they have on their show is usually the "Jew thrown to the Lions".

When Q&A ever decide to have a 50/50 balanced Left/Right panel, a 50/50 balanced studio audience, and completely unedited and unfiltered on-screen tweets....give me a call and I might watch it.

ABC is also extremely pro-Aboriginal (not that this is bad by any means); but to the point where they simply will not report anything about their issues objectively and in an unbiased manner.

Here's a question for ya's; when was the last time Warren Mundine was on any ABC show; when was the last time Noel Pearson was on ABC....and more importantly; when was the last time these two were on the same program discussing Aboriginal issues together?

MTR and Sackie like this.
  3. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Poverty is real and virtually inescapable for women living in slums and remote villages, below caloric intake of 1000/day, illiterate, horrific medical problems from childbirth, deceased children, no access to information, finance, healthcare, education.

I have never witnessed poverty in Australia but I do understand and acknowledge it's different as we're one of the richest countries in earth and poverty here means lesser access to opportunities

Ben Wilson likes this.
  4. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

Saying "Poverty is a state of mind" seems to me to be pushing the responsibility onto the individual rather then all pitching in as a community to solve this problem.
    Exclusion is the real problem as people can feel like outsiders and it can be hard for people to work their way back in society, takes alot of effort, compassion and creative problem solving from communities, the government as well as the individual. This is how we change the 'State of mind' not by creating an underclass

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If were talking about actual real poverty where people are starving, then I agree 'state of mind' doesn't apply. They need help and we as a society should be helping the real poor and the real disabled. Not many of the Centrelink scammers. Not people who choose to have 4 kids and expect the taxpayers to pay the bill because they can't afford to support them. That's ludicrous.

If we're talking about 'poverty' as in the average Joe thinking they can't get ahead and its all too tough etc etc, then I do believe it's all in their mind. In Australia we are blessed with so many opportunities to do almost whatever we wish if we are committed enough to do it.

EN710 and ellejay like this.
  6. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

ok now throw in violence and addiction problems into a household relying on welfare in the middle of 5 blocks of houso units in the shity part of the city, and your think those kids with statistically make the same jobs the upper class kids will??

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hard to break the cycle

8. Bayview

Some will.

Not everyone mindlessly accepts their lot in life and succumbs to their surroundings.

Sadly; it also works in reverse; plenty of kids who are born into very nice surroundings destroy their lives with bad decisions.

Ben Wilson likes this.
  9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Statistically they have very little chance of the same opportunities an upper class kid will. The old school boys network is very real. Being in the right family, going to the right school, making the right connections gives people a lot of advantages.

There's no doubt that race and sometimes religion comes into this as well.

Despite this, the original question is asking about poverty, not wealth. In Australia most people have a reasonable chance of getting out of poverty and most have the opportunities to become reasonably wealth and financially independent within their lifetime...

...but few will ever have the opportunities that James Packer had. It's still possible, but a lot harder for most people.

10. Bayview

Name one race, religion, class or gender that has been held back from extremely high positions in life.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

I'm not saying they're outright held back, I'm simply suggesting that people in some demographics will probably have to work a bit harder to get there. This in turn supports the assertion that the right 'state of mind' is a heavy influence on the outcomes people experience.

Bayview likes this.
  12. Bayview

You are right about the "state of mind".

I think being held back purely by race etc used to be the case several decades ago, but not now.

Think about the USA black community, and the Aus Aboriginal Community; to name two.

While significant numbers of folks from both these groups still to this day claim foul; in both cases they have had people elevated to the highest stations, and many of their community enjoy successful lives...

Much of their future improvement needs to come from guidance and support from their own community Leaders, etc.

13. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

14. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

Sometimes the more hurdles to overcome the stronger the individual grows, and getting handed a silver platter might not instil the drive,
    As for fixing poverty I think we can only do so much giving the huge meth problem and people who choose to have multiple kids on welfare, i personally think you shuld have a licence to have kids but people think im hitler when i bring this up

Phase2 likes this.
  15. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

There has never been a black pope

16. Peter_Tersteeg

Think of how many Australians often treat Filipino immigrants. Many Australians hate dealing with a call centre in Manila and this translates directly into how we perceive the average Filipino here (especially males). I wouldn't call it discrimination, but seeing how many people interact with some friends, there's definitely something going on.

17. Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson Member

Actually with the cultural dirversity policies in public workplaces these days you probally have an advantage in the workforce

18. Bayview

LOL was waiting for something like that...was expecting the female Pope, actually.

But yeah - Obama, Marg Thatcher, Theresa May, that chick PM from NZ, Neville Bonner, Warren Mundine, Julia Gillard...endless list of gender/race Politics.

19. Bayview

I haven't struck treatment of Phillipinos here being anything but as per anyone else.

Howerver; I have struck loads of folks who crack the shoits about speaking with call centre dudes who can hardly be understood, and also folks whinging about why these jobs are no longer in Aus.

But; it is nothing personal about any particular race of people; just the voice accents and the fact that they are not working here in Aus.

20. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I know hundreds of Filipnos. They say how amazed how friendly Aussies are and how every-one treat people the same,regardless of wealth class, job colour or creed. Many have came from poverty in the Philippines and are amazed at the money and life style they can achieve here especially being able to become the owner of a shiny new car after a few months here. They actually say Employers prefer Filipinos because they have the right mindset and will cheerfully work hard and do jobs properly and believe in a fair days work for a fair days pay. Also Telcos set up call centres in the Philippines because customers preferred the attitude of Fillipinos to that of Indians.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia