Potential Property Purchase to Raise & build underneath

Discussion in 'Development' started by Brynn, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brynn

Brynn New Member

Hi everyone!

First time poster here. I'm looking at buying a property here in Brisbane with a large garage + work space underneath the house. The current ceiling height is 1.9m and it's my understanding that to be legal i'll have to raise the property to minimum 2.4M if I'd like to create a bedroom, bathroom and living space underneath. I'm just curious as to how much the average cost would be to raise the property (200M2 total property area) and putting in this space underneath. Keeping in mind there's already a toilet and electricity to downstairs. Also do i need council approval to do all this?

I know given the age the property will have asbestos which may increase the price (not sure if this influences cost).

thanks in advance!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe our house raise and slide was around $34k. We used "Raise My House" and did have other quotes (via our builder). Raise My House had been helpful from the first call when they looked on Google Earth while I also looked at it. They could give me a good idea over the phone.

We ended up using them and couldn't be happier. We'd had other names given through the forum as being cheaper, but they were not cheaper for our build.

We've had asbestos removed from several houses and the most expensive job was around $9k from memory. That was fairly extensive job, three years ago.

We use Total Asbestos Removal, Somah is the guy you will deal with.

He will come and quote.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.