Potential Influx of Greek Immigrants

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hpresident, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

We actually live in a nice estate in Cranbourne North. 1 neighbour works for PwC, guy across the road is an IT project manager for Telstra. I feel very comfortable here. Once my wife went to the Woolworths at Cranbourne Centro, her comment was, "it was like I was in another world". And I see all sorts on the train. I feel bad about being judgmental, but its hard not to be.

2. dublin_101

dublin_101 Active Member

Unless they get kicked out of the EU, no Greeks will come here.

They can just go and work/live in any other EU country without any need for a visa... So that's a lot of countries, plus add Switzerland to that.......

3. Ausprop

Ausprop Well-Known Member

for now at least anyway. I expect that to be a 'limited time offer' !

4. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

I don't think we can look at it as all of them would go to another EU country. Perhaps majority would, but a small amount may decide to move to Australia for whatever reason, relatives here, change of environment ect. Even if just 5% or 10% move to a concentrated area, that could be enough to change housing demand in that local area.

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Much more likely to move to the UK along with all the Eastern Europeans moving there on mass.

6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Actually, I would have said Germany. Many Greeks went to work there after WW2, including my father. I have some relatives there and I know many other people with relatives there.

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@hpresident

i would rather worry about well being of Greek People living in that country and impact it will have on their day to day life.......

even though if they come to aus.. do you think they can afford to even rent property here, let alone buying it?

i hope they come out of mess soon and in somewhat better condition!

8. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I think whether or not they get kicked out of Euro Union it won't make much difference to their futute. The situation there is so bad to have any chance of a better life they will need to leave. The austerity measures being requested of them by Europe are so extreme that they won't have much of a life there.
    I'd say IF they leave, the same countries which accepted them after the war will be their most likely destinations. Countries such as Australia, Canada, Germany, Brazil, USA and perhaps the addition of Cyprus will be fitting as they have already sizable Greek immigrant populations. Usually people emigrating from a country tend to go where they know there are others from the same culture for obvious reasons.
    Now whether those countries accept them or not is a different story.

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2015
    WattleIdo and LibGS like this.
  9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I kind of like the fact that lots of the old Greeks around me have little English. That goes for the 70s Vietnamese, too. It makes local life more interesting.

10. dublin_101

dublin_101 Active Member

To be honest, you are banking on an idea at the extreme level. I'd suggest you look at more likely ways of housing demands being increased.

11. Alex McDonald

Alex McDonald Active Member

Literally go to Oakleigh shopping district on Sat/Sun afternoon and everyone is speaking greek smoking outside greek restaurants. This is probably the most greek suburb I know of.

Pretty good area too with good schools, easy access to shopping, train line and chaddy.