Potential Influx of Greek Immigrants

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hpresident, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Heard on the radio today that there could be a potential influx of Greek immigrants in the next few years due to the Greek economic struggle. I believe just like the Chinese immigrants, new immigrant generally would like to stick in the same geographical location, thus a large influx of Greeks to a suburb = increase real estate price.
    Question 1: What does everyone here think of this theory?
    Question 2: where are the typical Greek suburbs in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane?

2. Roosterman

Roosterman Well-Known Member

Not sure about question 1.

But for question 2, Earlwood in Sydney. Used to be Marrickville but I think only bearded baristas are allowed to live there now.

4point5million likes this.
  3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Well, not anyone can just immigrate to Australia. Unless one is skilled in a profession in demand, it will be very hard to immigrate permanently to Australia. Greece isn't a war torn region, so no refugees can be accepted.
    These days to apply for skilled immigration, one needs to send an expression of interest to the department of immigration. If the data looks good, then one can submit an application. The answer typically takes months.
    So, IMO, I don't think so.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I agree with Ouga. Very difficult but I'm sure people will try.

5. hpresident

This sbs article provided some interesting figures
    'Between 2012 and 2014 about 6,000 Greeks arrived in Victoria alone. Around 60 per cent are Australia-born, while the remaining 40 per cent are Greek nationals who have simply run out of options in their homeland.'

There could be (number maybe hard to quantify) heaps of existing Australian born Greeks returning or Greeks with relatives that are Australian coming. Obviously a lot harder for Greeks with no associates with Australia to come.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. hpresident

Seems like Melbourne has quite a large Greek population. Any idea what are the typical Greek suburbs ?

7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Massive lack of jobs, is making people with dual or Australian citizenship move back. A friend of mine who was born here, but moved to Greece with her family, has moved back for financial reasons. Youth unemployment is up around 50%, the overall figure is around 25%.

People in the villages are doing much better than in the cities, the old people there live ok. Some young people are moving in with yiayia and papou. (grandma/grandpa).

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I find this pretty interesting:
    "According to the 2001 Australian census, Melbourne has the largest Greek Australian population in Australia (151,785 or around 47%), and the largest Greek population of any city in the World - outside of Greece."
    And
    "Melbourne is said to have the largest Greek-speaking population outside of Europe, after Athens and Thessaloniki, Melbourne's Greek sister city."
    The one's that come here might not be that well off (until they, ahem, "hurt their back" and require compensation) so not sure what impact it would have on house prices.

Bran likes this.
  9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Lots of Greeks still in Marrickville. Many of them older - came here in the 60s. They would be getting their spare bedrooms in order. Plenty of the oldies own a few properties. I was talking to one recently about it. He said when they came here they bought a house and paid it off. Then they bought another, and maybe one for their son. They could never work out why Aussies didn't buy more than one house.

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Its all same same.......

Don't like the chance of Greeks to come here unless they are already citizens/residents,have in demand skills and young, or have substantial assets to invest in a business.

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Might be some who come here on tourist visas and stay. Sort of like boat people in planes.

12. Oscar13

Oscar13 Member

13. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

Eastlakes and subdivision of the apartment/unit/house.

14. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Forget about getting a job, TFN, bank account, insurance, car, any kind of property or investment etc...
    IMO no honest person will be willing to live in complete illegality with no prospect of ever being able to do anything and if found will be kicked out of the country.
    No, only people with dual citizenships or skilled/young have a chance, but it ain't easy - which is a good thing else the world would be moving down under!

15. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Templestowe, Lower Templestowe and in some extent Doncaster has large Greek population in Melbourne

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I've got a new business venture; moving to Indo, buying a good quality sec/hand boat and getting flyers printed.

Bentley likes this.
  17. Bayview

We've got loads of them down my way...

And they still can't speak English. :)

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

With the price of fishing boats in Greece,will the Australian Navy Turn back Greek Financial Refuges when they start the exodus and come within Australian boarders..

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  19. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I live in Cranbourne and I'm amazed at how many people who were born in Australia can't speak English.

Phantom likes this.
  20. Bayview

You live there? sorry for your plight. Run while there is still time.

Yep; bogans have a disgraceful diction, pronunciation, spelling, attitude - everything, generally.

We need to get the boats coming here again; unload the refugees, and reload the boats with bogans and ship 'em out.

Do Aus a favour.

I worked at the Amstel Golf Club for 2 years and got to mix it with the Cranbournians on a daily basis.

The joint (Cranbourne) is a disgrace, with a few decent ones (you) here and there.

I think all their tatts and ciggies and slabs of VB's destroy the majority of their braincells?