Potential for subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by qwerty13, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qwerty13

qwerty13 Member

3C933949-9F24-4932-B4CC-82DA31E4D2F7.jpeg Hi all, would like to preemptively thank everyone for their help. Am new to all this and have had great feedback on a few different threads I’ve posted.

Have been looking at an investment opportunity in SE Melbourne. 715 sq m block of land at the end of a court. Neighbours have built townhouses and I think this is ripe for redevelopment too. I called a local subdivision group and he has basically said that even though it’s possible to put two on there, he wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. Didn’t go into details.

Wondering what people have done with an irregularly shaped block of land like this in the past. The black highlighted area is the driveway.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Laudrup likes this.
  2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

@Sackie is the man with the plan when it comes to these things.

First point of call would be to check your setback restrictions and see what your building envelope looks like.

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I don't know what you told or gave your advisor, but two (additional?) houses on the lot won't work
    Also have you checked the zone provisions. You will find that the secluded open space requirements kill any prospect of an (one!) additional house, add the garaging/parking and you're not left with much land at all to develop. I'd get, and pay for, an opinion from an experienced town planner - get good advice. But to me, it doesn't look like it's a goer, based on spatial requirements.
    The block shape is one factor but not a killer in itself, the other requirements will most likely shut down the options

Anthony416 likes this.
  4. qwerty13

qwerty13 Member

Thank you for your advice. My understanding based on my research so far is that there needs to be at least 15m frontal width. I’m not aware of any other spatial requirements and will have to look into it. The neighbours seem to have managed to get two townhouses on their (admittedly more regular) block of land.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You might have to lose half of the house or the front few rooms to get a workable lot.

6. qwerty13

qwerty13 Member

Sorry I guess I should have clarified. The plan was always to knock it down completely and build two brand new townhouses.

Archaon likes this.
  7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

That changes the original question and advice sought completely!
    There are other spatial requirements - I'd get advice from a town planner or even a drafter to see what you can lay out on the site