Postgraduate courses

Discussion in 'Development' started by FireDragon, 19th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Hi, I am in my early 40s and I have been in the software development industry for 20+ years. I am considering to change my career path to property development or other property related jobs.

I don't have much experience in property development except for a small mixed-used apartment project (49 units + shops) that I did for my family in last 2-3 years. I hired a project manager to manage the project and I didn't have much experience in dealing with the builder nor construction knowledge. However, I do have some experience in dealing with the architect, Council, banks, attending PCG meetings, discussing defects with the project manager.

I would like to study a postgraduate course and become a property development manager or other property related jobs. Most postgraduate subjects start in the evening and hence I can only do online courses as I have to look after the children at night.

I found something like these:
    Master of Property Investment and Development | Western Sydney University
    Graduate Diploma of Property | Deakin

Are there other postgraduate courses available? Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I am also going to do another smaller development project (6-8 units or townhouses). I will still hire a project manager but try to be involved more during the construction phase.

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2019
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw those, but they are on campus. I hope I can do something online as I need to look after the children.

Esh likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many agencies co-ordinate very high quality courses for various uni's or the uni's themselves and include Open Leaning etc.... They administer the course program across the one institution or across several and at the end the award is given by the relevant uni. These style courses are fully tailored for zero attendance and are often 3/4 study periods a year allowing rapid progress in a flexible manner vs a traditional course structure. And fee help etc. The course material is usually very well packaged with copies of readings etc

Courses, Degrees & Subjects | Open Universities Australia
    Online Study (Distance Learning) | Australian Universities

FYI the costs will not be deductible as self education as it relates to a new field of employment and income. Despite it being postgrad.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be better to find a developer doing it in real life, one who is not running courses, and offer them $20k cash to have you hang around 1 day per week for a year.

Esh, Curious2019 and Sackie like this.
  6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

7. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Having completed this degree in 2012. I can state it is a good course that is 'flexible', offered in block, meaning Thurs/Fri and Sat over 4 or 6 weeks for a semester. It is intensive as it covers a lot of ground in the three days with assignments dues shortly after. The trade off is, most people can afford to take the 8-10 days via annual leave and have grad dip or masters whilst working.

Gaining entry to the course, is another thing but can't imagine it being overly strenuous.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just deep pockets :rolleyes:

9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I personally did this course just over 10 years ago. At the time I was working in corporate with a growing personal portfolio but wanted to be more hands on. The course was only a few hours a week in the CBD but I'm not sure what I learnt was very applicable or practical in real life. There was a fair bit of focus on commercial property and valuations which wasn't really my interest.

What I have learnt in residential development in the following years has come from jumping in the deep end and asking questions of consultants/planners/builders etc, so I think being more involved in your own projects will teach you a lot more, but to gain a job maybe you need the 'piece of paper'.

ellejay, Bunbury and Terry_w like this.