Food & Dining Post your current coffee fix

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by DaveM, 10th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

So, I enjoy good coffee (and no nespresso, lavazza and vittoria do not fit into this category) and regularly hunt around for new beans from various roasters.

I am guessing there are others here into good coffee, so figured be a good place to share what we are currently grinding and pouring.

I will start with my long time favourite, the Jackson from Adore Coffee.

JACKSON - Aromatic, Caramel & Chocolate

2. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't have coffee machine to make coffee from beans :confused:
    This is one of our current favorite place tho The Wooden Whisk

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The coffee from coffee works in Mareeba QLD is my current favourite. I just order it online and they express post it with sample pack of different blend.

Concept and MTR like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I get my beans from Forsyths and prepare it here and can get it here - @EN710 no need for an expensive machine, made the way millions of Europeans make it every day

[​IMG]

Colin Rice, MTR and EN710 like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I had this long time ago and can't seem to master it ... i burn all the coffee:oops: while my italian friend can just whip it and the coffee would be delicious

7. Scott No Mates

@EN710 - Very little to master.

If you have an electric stove you turn it off when the coffee starts coming up. With gas when it stops perculating/top is full. Otherwise it burns.

EN710 likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Anything with cream and caramel in it and chocolate on top.

OMG.

MTR likes this.
  9. Mitchell

Mitchell Active Member

Hands down best coffee from a cafe is Little Cove Coffee at Noosa.
    The Breville Dual Boiler makes a great coffee at home. We use Campos beans for our home brew.

10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Witham's Super Mocha is my favourite so far, always trying new ones but have always circled back to this. Stoked to nab the last bag from their Northside Produce Market stall :) Great rounded and slightly chocolatey taste.

[​IMG]

Next one to try is Jasper's Blend #10 which I picked up at Prahran Market when I was down in Melb last last weekend. Haven't dialed in the grind just yet but first impressions are good, esp the depth of flavour - probably the best lingering aftertaste of all the beans I've tried.

MTR likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have the dual boiler at my Adelaide and Sydney office along with the smart grinder, great units!

Mitchell likes this.
  12. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Saw the BES980 "The Oracle" at Bing Lee, very impressive unit and glowing reviews on ProductReview.... not sure if it's too automatic for my tastes though (automatic grinding, tamping and steaming)

[​IMG]

13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

They had the dual boiler on sale without smart grinder a couple of months ago for $699. Well worth grabbing that next sale, its $1500 with grinder normally, $800 saving pays for a good second hand mini mazzer etc

D.T. likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice thread, one of my favourite subjects...

I feel bad, especially with my Italian background... I am still on nespresso pods, what can I say.. its convenient, no cleaning, does not come close to the real thing.

15. Scott No Mates

But it's sooo sofistic-hated. :p

MTR likes this.
  16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Nespresso gives you convenience, consistency and speed. I had a CitiZ&milk and tried all the different flavours (even that stupidly expensive $3/capsule one, silver box can't remember name) but didn't really enjoy it that much.

Upgraded to a Lelit PL042EMI combi (built-in grinder) and haven't looked back. I don't like how slow it is for milk drinks (single boiler) and how noisy it is (vibratory pump) but the challenge is fun and I get to practise latte art :) Great taste from an unlimited selection of beans.

Gonna have to keep an eye on Bing Lee sales, thanks for the tip @DaveM.

17. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Im pretty happy to drink anything from instant to nespresso to barista made expresso.

Large flat white, skim milk.

pinkboy

Colin Rice likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had the machines. They have to be cleaned, and eventually break down, requiring expensive repairs.

I much prefer having a good grinder- one which does a consistent quantity and grind. My Breville costs about $300 now, I've had it running flawlessly for years. It does everything from an extremely coarse grind to a fine powder.

The coffee I will sometimes do Middle Eastern style, in a saucepan on the stove, sometimes with small stick of cinnamon- crunchy coffee. Or more often I use the aeropress. Choice doesn't like it- it doesn't give any crema- but I like that it makes a quite reasonable cup of coffee, quickly, and it's quick and easy to clean up. Less cleaning overall than a fully automatic machine.

MTR likes this.
  19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Does anyone else here roast their own beans? I have an iCoffee bean roaster which, silly name aside, produced excellent results for small batches, meaning I always had the most freshly-roasted beans on hand.

[​IMG]

I'll stop photobombing this thread now.

Redwing and MTR like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

chylld, where is this from? How much?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia