Post war raise and build

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Darren891, 12th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darren891

Darren891 New Member

Hi all,

I am planning to renovate my 3bdr post war home in Tarragindi, Briasbane, by raising and building under.

Project overview
    - raise, slab etc
    - convert upstairs living + dining into master bedroom with ensuite
    - convert current kitchen area into main bathroom
    - remove current bathroom (unsure what to do with this space yet, ? study/living nook)
    - rear deck in situ currently (can this be retained during raising?) OR dismantled and ? replaced
    - general landscaping, aim to flatten sections of moderate sloped land
    - pool construction
    - outdoor living area
    -Carport/garage installation
    - fencing
    - downstairs build to incorporate open plan K + L + D, bathroom, spare bedroom, laundry, internal stairs etc

Ok, so I'm interested in renovating in stages, most preferably over 4 years or so. This would enable me to self-finance, extract currently desired improvements sooner, and postpone non-essential improvements until we actually need the extra bedrooms and living space.

My proposed first stage:
    - raise
    -landscaping and pool
    -carport/garage
    - fencing

Does this create any issues I should be aware of? How to deal with longer term exposure of the 'new' area underneath? Temporary stairs required? Or can the internal stairs be completed at that early stage? Better to approach planning/design in a way that reflects each proposed stage, or aim to have the entire project designed at the outset?

Happy for any feedback, can clarify as required. Much appreciated!

Darren