Post Auction valuation

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kyawin, 24th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kyawin

kyawin New Member

I recently sold my house by Auction. In Victoria, Contracts of Sale by auction are unconditional, therefore there is no 'subject to finance' or similar clause. By bidding at auction and signing a Contract of Sale buyers are doing so either with the finance available or taking the risk of not getting approval and therefore being in breach of contract.
    I have since had a request to organise a day for a valuer to attend the property in order for the buyers finance to be approved. I have been told that if I refuse, and he does not get the finance by settlement, I am in breach of the Contract of Sale due to me preventing him from obtaining the money.
    My questions:
    1. As it is an unconditional Contract of Sale is it not the buyers responsibility, not mine, to ensure the finances are available by settlement?
    2. Is there any legal requirement for me to allow a valuer to attend the property after the Contract of Sale has been signed?
    3. If the buyer does not get the finance, due to me not allowing the valuation occurring, and is therefore not able to meet the terms of the Contract of Sale, who is in breach, the buyer or me?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What the prolem with allowing a valuer access?

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If you have to take time off work to give access it could be a problem.

Q4. should be: what if you allow the valuer access and the buyer still does not get the finance?

Unless something to the contrary is in the contract, I think it's the purchaser's problem. As far as I know, some valuers don't require physical access.

Having said that - it would be courteous to provide access - can you get the RE agent to do that if it's a problem for you?

KayTea likes this.
  4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Valuation is a normal part of the process with any sale and arranging finance.

Why would you deny access?

MJS1034 and housechopper2 like this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

So if you deny valuer, and purchaser cannot get finance due to this item only, dont expect the legal side of things to go well for you

Ethan Timor, Tim86, Beelzebub and 3 others like this.
  6. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Are you for real!

Ethan Timor, Hodge, tobe and 2 others like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

All banks will require a valuation of the property as they are securing the funds against it.
    Read your contract that you agreed to but it is probably outlined in there that you need to grant reasonable access to the Buyer for this.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Val access will take an hour or so max on the basis that the valuer is on time.

I sometimes have to intervene with vendors and work through common sense in similar scenarios.

No one wins by looking to work to the letter of the law in scenarios like this

Suggest you provide the access and get on with it please

ta

rolf

Banister, Tim86, D.T. and 2 others like this.
  9. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

As others have said are you able to provide some more context around the reason you're asking this question?
    Intrigues me when someone is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for something and things, like mowing a lawn, or opening a locked door are questioned; would love to gain some insight from you :)

10. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Valuer can not access property, buyer can not access finance, and you void your contract and lose the sale? Why would you do that? It's just a matter of opening the house and making some time. It makes sense to me that any valuer would want to see the condition of the property inside as well as out.

11. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, it is standard procedure for a lender to do a valuation on a security they are lending against. It is at a minimum, common courtesy (there may also be legal obligations to allow reasonable access) to allow a valuer access to a property for the purpose of a valuation.

That aside, if you have a genuine reason why you cannot give access, you need to convey this to either the valuer or the purchasers solicitor. There may be alternative arrangements made to facilitate the valuation. But, flat out refusing without reasonable grounds will not fly I'm afraid.

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you don't allow access for a valuation, the purchaser will have a lot of trouble getting finance. No finance means no sale. This is a normal part of the sales and finance process and you should do everything you can to accommodate the valuation.

With no sale you might then argue that you get to keep their deposit and sell the house to someone else. I'd suggest the purchaser could sue you for actively sabotaging their efforts to complete the contract and it's the seller that is in breach of the contract. I have no idea of the legal basis for this, but you might find yourself without the house anyway and a lot less money as well.

13. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

The agent you sold through should be able to let the valuer into the place for you.

KayTea and Stoffo like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Next, you'll want to impede the final/pre-settlement inspection.

Ethan Timor and Noobieboy like this.
  15. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

So at a brief glance of the VIC standard form CoS, if the purchaser is in an unconditional auction conditions contract and you force them along to settlement day having refused valuation access, you run up against this

You are in default of the contract by failing to do all things necessary.

Also note
    By intentionally delaying the purchaser's ability to get finance, you are in default of the contract

Lastly as you are in default

Purchaser can exit contract, be repaid all monies, and recover their losses.

So, to put it mildly, why would you obstruct the valuation, unless you no longer wish to sell and want to use it as a method to exit an unconditional contract?[

Ethan Timor and housechopper2 like this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

You seem like a terrible person to do business with. Hopefully this is a momentary lack of common sense on your part and not a sign of your general disposition.

Invest_noob, Dmarkw, MC1 and 3 others like this.
  18. kyawin

kyawin New Member

I posted my questions in the hope of receiving answers, not to receive criticism, condemnation or have my character judged by people who don't even know me.
    My reasons for these questions are due to the questionable actions by the agent who sold my property, including a possible conflict of interest with the buyer. Due to multiple breaches of Legislation, Regulations and Codes of Practice he is being investigated by Consumer Affairs Victoria
    The key point you have all ignored is that the contract is unconditional, with NO 'Subject to Finance' clause
    DavidM It may have paid you to take more than a "brief look" at the Victorian standard form Contract of Sale before posting your reply as you may have noted:
    10.1 Specifically states "At settlement", not before settlement
    b. the vendor must:
    (i) do all things necessary to enable the purchaser to become the registered proprietor of the land
    10.2 The vendor's obligations under this general condition continue after settlement.

14.1 If the particulars of sale specify that this contract is subject to a loan being approved, this contract is subject to the lender approving the loan on the security of the property by the approval date or any later date allowed by the vendor.

22. Inspection
    The purchaser and/or another person authorised by the purchaser may inspect the property at any reasonable time during the 7 days preceding and including the settlement day.

If you are the successful bidder at auction:
    you will be offered a contract in the same terms that was on display before the auction. You cannot make the contract subject to any further conditions - for example, obtaining finance or having a longer settlement period, unless the seller agrees to them.

19. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If you don't want criticism, then don't make a post seeking advice on how to behave in an apparently reprehensible way. You didn't even give any explanation or context - what did you expect?

Your reasons don't seem to justify your actions either. Why be a jerk to the buyer if its your own agent you have an issue with?

Ethan Timor, ff3, Tim86 and 3 others like this.
  20. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You wanted the answer you want to hear. Maybe ask it to the mirror?

You would be breaching the 10.1.b.(i) you quoted, op. What issues you have with your agent has nothing to do with the buyer. How does it help you if the buyer cant get finance? You have an unconditional contract, but are you willing to spend thousands to enforce it if the buyer cant settle as you were unreasonable? You might not even win that.

housechopper2 likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia