NSW Post a Bargain Sydney 2020

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Damo93, 14th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continued from here: Post a Bargain Sydney 2019 [NSW]}

Heading to Sydney next Tuesday for a week and booked an Airbnb ($65 per night, a 1x1 apartment 10km from the CBD in Ashfield, NSW).
    I thought I would check out what it would cost to purchase something similar and roughly it would be $600-700k.
    I don't understand why people would want to live in shoeboxes in Sydney when in other states/cities (namely Perth) one can get decent wages, better lifestyle and more affordable housing options.
    Yet to see any family-friendly 'bargains' with land component under 1mil within 20km of Sydney CBD..ridiculous. Migrate to the West :D

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Jan, 2020
    geeza, Propin and JohnPropChat like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is because people are emotional...and have no idea about cycles..and dead cat bounces...:D:p

With rents in Sydney dropping more...it will get even more interesting..this happened to Perth so it will be interesting to see what happens if there is any economic shock of sorts...:p

Sydney rents fall as record vacancies give tenants edge - realestate.com.au

MandyL, Propin, Damo93 and 1 other person like this.
  3. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

it's the same reason people in some US cities that are prone to tornadoes refuse to relocate and rebuild their houses every single year - emotional and irrational reasons.

Erica likes this.
  4. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Madness..

5. ValSyd

ValSyd Member

It also comes down to your work, sometimes you can only work in big cities (meaning Melbourne or Sydney) unfortunately. If I had a choice I would indeed move to a smaller city.

Damo93 likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is exactly what is going to drive people out of Sydney...as more people work online or from remote locations...you will see that spread out. No one is cottoning on to this....

7. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a change of career would fancy some?
    More bang for your buck in terms of housing for a lesser mortgage with similar cost of living elsewhere!
    I left NZ as a 19 year old Sport Science Graduate with an Exercise Prescription Major and years of Personal Training Experience and now I am a Manager of a CNC Machining Company.
    Life has a funny way of leading people down all sorts of paths if one chooses to explore them.

C-mac and JohnPropChat like this.
  8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

People like big cities despite the poor living spaces. If you read threads on other forums about Perth, people, particularly those who are young or young-at-heart when comes to partying, they think Perth and for that matters smaller cities are dry and uninteresting. Also, from a job opportunity perspective, if one works in the corporate world, it is true that Sydney and Melbourne offer more job opportunities. Just count the no. of HQs of international firms in Australia and one can understand. However, small cities are good when one has a family. But the job opportunities may not be as good, in particular, in areas such as banking and finance, corporate roles, etc.

The big city syndrome is not only an Australian one. US - New York, LA, etc. China - Beijing, Shanghai, etc. Japan - Tokyo, Osaka, etc. The list goes on.

Damo93 and ValSyd like this.
  9. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

spoon and Damo93 like this.
  10. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

The greatest place in the world to live is where you are happy.

I am happy living close to my family and nearly all my family lives in North West Sydney. 1 daughter, my SIL and grandson live in Melbourne so I have alternate accommodation in Docklands.

if you choose your PPOR on price, value or anything other than making you happy first, then a life of misery (especially if married) awaits.

nswvic, PropDir, stovebyo and 5 others like this.
  11. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that the city home unit market has not gone back to anywhere near its former glory for rental or sale value. Yet Newtown and inner west semis are going gang busters!
    Is it that the city is lifeless after 9pm?
    The scare of poor quality high rise construction?
    High levies on strata property.
    Low rents?
    Fashion changes?
    Or are they simply bargains waiting to be bought, so we can say remember when you could buy a 3.2.2 for under $2 million in the heart of the city. I wish I had 2020 vision then!

12. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

A combination of all that but also there is too much stock in the CBD (in Sydney anyway).

The current market is placing more value on the semi's land in the inner west than the convenience of a nice CBD unit.

The nice and new apartments in hip places like Barangaroo etc will still be expensive though.

13. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

The bargain so far that I know is... apartment, not so much about house :rolleyes:, correct me if I'm wrong.

NSW or Sydney is still expensive city to buy property.

14. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Have noticed rents have been dropping/ stayed the same in Sydney for a few years, can growth continue without rising rents?

15. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Some of the properties which was not sold in 2018 re-entered the market with same price tag in Western Sydney region. Agents work really hard to get it sold. People emotion just fuel the property market, not fundamental. This will have serious effect when mkt turns.

16. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
  17. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

18. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Exactly.

How many Aussies go to England and choose to live and work in Durham as opposed to London...

sesemrub and Wattle like this.
  19. Tony101

Tony101 Member

nswvic, Someguy, 2FAST4U and 2 others like this.
  20. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I would love to work in Durham if I were an academic. They have a great university. And you can climb the cathedral to keep up with your exercise. :D

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.