NSW Post a Bargain Sydney 2019

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Alex123711, 21st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

I started window shopping in Sydney, a few interesting choices here and there but many still living on the high of the boom. Once it bottoms out and starts going sideways is when people that "have to sell" for whatever reason will meet the market.

My short term concern is with rising rental vacancies and landlords reducing rents. This is never a good thing.

Oliver Shane and Whitecat like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is the real worry...too much supply in the rental market..that will push prices down even further...

Oliver Shane and Whitecat like this.
  3. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of anywhere off that much.. 1-2 properties doesn't really mean 'parts of Sydney'

354F North Rocks Road, Carlingford, NSW 2118

Looks like pretty good value?

Last edited: 21st May, 2019
  4. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

Mulgoa (out near Penrith, is that still Sydney??).

Median house price $1.39 million in 2017, but has since dropped to $829,000. (41.4%).

Never giveup and Whitecat like this.
  5. JQ88

JQ88 Well-Known Member

Mulgoa's probably not a good example here. There's average 20 house transacted per year.. with some farms exceeding $2-3m, and new builds that probably skewed the data. If you look at RE, the median for 2017 is also different

A number of bargain's posted here are either with overhead transmission lines, main road, very sloppy land that are inferior

Could we be fair to Sydney and post some fair bargains?

skater likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It's a road a lot of people use. Pass.

7. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Good points, what about this one?

354F North Rocks Road, Carlingford, NSW 2118

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Wow. That's really bad. Must have been new mini mansions

9. JQ88

JQ88 Well-Known Member

Not as bad as Pennant Hills Rd but I would discount 3-5% with a comparable nearby that’s not North Rocks/ Pennants Hills Road, just purely on location. We are in a fallen market, buyers picky and only way we can lured them is with discount

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Let's see how the next few weekends go.

11. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

That’s a main road and it’s not far from two service stations either side of it plus the (ex) Westfield shopping centre. It would be a super busy spot to live.

12. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Yup. Subdivisions that’s why that’s dropped

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...there a quite a few defaults of land in Sydney as well as Melbourne.

In Sydney...because the developers are stubbornly holding their prices nothing is selling...but people are also unable to settle...you just don'y hear about it. People like Stockland are just holding stock and have slowed land development down a lot.

In Melbourne...there are not a lot of defaults on stuff which people bought 3 years ago because the land is still good value. Usually they are a able to nominate for about 5-10k more in cash and the deal still stacks up. For example if someone has a contract price of 220k on land bought 2-3 years say 400sqm that is still good value. Someone is likely to take the risk and pay to have the block nominated to them. The land would till value up to 260k easily. In some area there is very little land and it has sold things down which makes title blocks attractive...but you have to cherry pick the areas. Some estates are a no go zone.

The real issue is Sydney...the prices are still crazy and people are being stubborn....I saw that happening in Perth...and what you find is that supply builds up to the point where prices drop dramatically....usually that is because people and developers were so stubborn....

JohnPropChat likes this.
  15. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

What suburbs in Sydney are you guys keeping an eye for potential investment bargains in the sub-$1mil range? The yields are still **** poor in most areas, still better than yields in Melbourne I think.

16. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

The supply of Melbourne is nuts though. On market right now there’s 117 estates in Melbourne with 4250 listings for land in Melbourne whereas Sydney has 64 estates (in reality most of these are 30 lot estates) and 1500 lots on sale..

My worry for Melbourne (and I own in Werribee), is the supply sits there for a long long time and we’ll eventually be back at the prices of 3-4 yrs ago if we’re lucky (could be lower). 27% default on land is huge and worries me that it will eventually be even higher once bad sales start recording and valuers drop their valuations even more and it becomes a massive downward spiral of on-sellers not being able to sell it even at the price they purchased at. Sydney has nowhere near that supply which is why its so pricey but its def dropped. Will never be anywhere near as cheap as Melb though. Way less land and way more infrastructure and jobs around the estates which entices more owner occs to move.

Stockland has discounted their land by 20-30k in Sydney and it sells at that. They’re smart. They buy it at nothing and just slow things down when its quiet and ride it out.

wombat777 likes this.
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope...not what I am seeing...sure in places like Tarneit and parts of Melton things are not moving...but but others it is doing okay. The supply is being soaked up...the real issue is people who bought 400sqm blocks for 300k. People who bought for under 240k are okay....

Stockland are idiots...they are arrogant...I saw this happen in WA. If you go to places like Marsden Park and their Estarte near Leppington...they are in trouble. Prices are dropping like a led ballon. Same as people who bought in places like the Ponds for over 500k...they are also dead in the water.

18. Oliver Shane

Oliver Shane Well-Known Member

19. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

This is a good article as it points to the big equilibrium factor in any price movements (and also why I think price movements from demand rises will be relatively modest).

Prices only adjust upwards if the demand rise is greater than the supply response.

IMO there's going to be an demand increase. It defies almost economic relationships to suggest that interest rates are cut, borrowing power is boosted and the floor price is 20% lower yet there's no demand increase.

Its how supply tracks/responds that'll determine price impacts. Elevated levels of supply, potential 'ghost' supply (sellers/developers waiting in the wings to sell stock), etc will all weigh down the market.

Whitecat and JohnPropChat like this.
  20. Oliver Shane

Oliver Shane Well-Known Member

Don’t forget about the zerobound Redom...also the reasons for cutting interest rates generally have little to do with property prices... indicating risk of recession is rising. Indeed we are already in a per capita recession.

Oh what the hell, let’s just enjoy the first piece of good news for Sydney property in 2 years.

BUY BUY BUY (joking)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.