WA Post a Bargain - Perth

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MTR, 17th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It would have been totally under water water/flooded last month and won't be looking that pretty. It's uninsurable and can't be build on.

boeman, Nemo30 and Perthguy like this.
  3. Westminster

You can see the aftermath of the flooding in this cool nearmap which unfortunately was taken about 11 days after the flood but you can get the gist of where the flood went to

https://inlapse.com.au/m/l/2JIF2FF

Edit: put wrong link in. https://inlapse.com.au/m/l/P5RR3IN this one shows the end of Swan Street and the water went all the way to the road and beyond in some parts

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  4. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

If its costing $1.18m for DA approved site, what would cost to build be and estimated home sale price? I'd hazard a guess of about 600-700k total building/finance/legals/etc costs? that would mean you would have to sell it at about 2.2m-2.4m total to be worth it, or 700 to 800k each. Is this possible?

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Have not looked at build costs in Perth lately ... but I did not build my deve in willagee because I would want to sell villas close to 600k each however bottom fell out of market
    This project is an absolute bargain/give away price. These villas today should sell for at least 500k each

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

I remember getting outbid for that block. It sold for 640k in 2015 so I'm not sure how this guy is making any money when you add in holding costs . Why not just sell the land since it's quicker and less risk.

7. Westminster

That price included the construction I thought?

Perthguy likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, I assumed the owner of the land held it for years so still profit in the game.
    then something is wrong, build costs not included??? otherwise makes no sense whatsoever

9. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

I had completely forgotten about the floods, makes sense.

Shame, as it looks amazing. Also a shame because wedding venue hiring is like printing money.

Colin Rice and Westminster like this.
  10. Westminster

@boeman

I know! It's a lovely spot and I wanted to buy one of those blocks when they were up for sale for under $400k (!!!) only a couple of years ago. I thought maybe if I built a Queenslander on stilts it would be allowed but City of Swan said "no, no, really no, definitely no". It wasn't just the building of a house it was the inability to put in septic tanks that wouldn't leach into the river system, the fact that any structure could change the way flooding works and cause issues somewhere else.

The people that use those lands are allowed sheds (which I argued was still a permanent structure) and I'm bloody sure some of them have toilets but I didn't push it too hard.

boeman likes this.
  11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It's advertised by HBA? I thought $1.18m it was an all-in cost too. New villas are only on ~250sq.m blocks. Looking at what other stock is selling for I think they'd be lucky to get around $450k ea.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ok

13. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

I went to a wedding in the "secret garden" in Caversham. By secret, they meant out the back on the river. Last I saw it was completely underwater, but the actual Caversham house is about 10m up on retaining. Bit unfair, though I am guessing it was all built many years before the rules came into play.

Colin Rice and Westminster like this.
  14. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Yeah. I read that as $1.18m with the 3 units constructed. Assuming construction costs is about $600k, which would just be bare bones or poor finishing. It'll cost another $100k to finish off. They are effectively selling a DA approved site for about $600k.

If each unit is valued at $480k each, then that's about 10% profit.

Westminster likes this.
  15. Westminster

$600k would go pretty far in that project as there is very little building on boundary or weird structural elements. Might not include headworks though
    I don't see how the old owners going to make any money selling it but people sell at a loss all the time when they need to.

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The guy selling it is a builder broker - I'd heard he'd gone bankrupt? Completely unsubstantiated rumour though.

17. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard that too.
    I wonder how a building broker goes bankrupt???

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It's a tough market at the moment, so I guess less people building, and less people getting finance for developments in town would take its toll.
    Or maybe a few failed dev's of his own?

19. Westminster

Yes he is personally bankrupt but the business is not. People go personally bankrupt for various reasons and I have had a conversation with Richard about this and I was happy with his reasoning and that it doesn't affect the business or the services offered to me which I use. The business was restructured to take it into account and continues on.

I've known a number of people in my lengthy life experience who have had to declare bankruptcy and most of them had little control over the event where they were a tradie/small business and weren't paid and couldn't afford to pay goods/services they had on account. It doesn't take much to send businesses to the wall. Builton going into Liquidation forced at least one business into bankruptcy

Colin Rice and Jess Peletier like this.
  20. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I have seen a few building brokers go under over time.

I think that is a hard game. The Builton fallout is still spreading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.