WA Post a Bargain - Perth 2018

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Spiderman, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

Under offer I see! Wonder if developer bought it

2. PerthPadawan

PerthPadawan Well-Known Member

3. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

4. AP121

AP121 Well-Known Member

@Westminster I agree but I kinda like Innaloo as its close to everything (sort of)
    Beach, shopping centre, freeway, etc.

5. AP121

AP121 Well-Known Member

Scaphella likes this.
  6. AP121

AP121 Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Sold for $2,050,000 in 2008 :eek:

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yipes! I have renovated 5 houses now and that would be a huge and very expensive job. I couldn't even tell you if it would make a nice house once renovated unless I walked through it. I can only see it working as a PPoR project. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Scaphella likes this.
  9. Cmelderis

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Does it? It just seems a pretty generic rear lot to me, in a not so great part of the suburb. Averagely priced.

By the way, 28 Noel Street Hilton WA 6163 - House for Sale #127532498 - realestate.com.au ended up going for something reasonably higher than asking price.

I know because I offered more than asking price myself. Agent said there were 8 offers in the end.

Just an example on how local knowledge is so important in distinguishing between a gem and a dud.

Perthguy, charttv and Cmelderis like this.
  11. Cmelderis

I dont know Hilton well but was led to believe def want to stay north of clontarf but from what you are saying you really want to be at the far north end of the suburb?

12. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Could you hazard a rough estimate on the cost of renovating something like that?
    Just curious how much the final product might end up after a buying+renovating.

13. Cmelderis

I dare say that will be a knock down then build multiple dwellings

Anthony Brew likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Interesting there were 8 offers. You are spot on with local knowledge. I buy that type of product in Cloverdale/Belmont, so reasonably aware of prices in that are. However, I know nothing about Hilton so had no idea if it was a good deal, bad deal or "other" at the list price. 8 offers. Interesting times for the seller. Any guess about what it might have gone for?

15. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

@Cmelderis Well the pocket in the north west is one example of a better area, generally speaking. Not sure what you mean about Clontarf, since technically the whole suburb is north of that road - did you mean Hammy Hill or something?

It also is likely to be a knock down, but not multi dwellings since the zoning doesn't generally support it.

@Anthony Brew I wasn't planning on keeping the house actually - too much of a write off and the layout was pretty bad even if it was retainable.

@Perthguy I don't think it had a 5 in front of it, so probably around 490k

Anthony Brew, Cmelderis and Perthguy like this.
  16. Swoosh30

Swoosh30 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

New to this forum and just posted an introduction of myself - please feel free to have a look at it to know me a bit better.
    Anyways, I'd like to ask for some opinions/advise:
    1. what are your opinions on these properties as a bargain buy:
    A. 24 Maidos Street Ashfield WA 6054 - House for Sale #126665478 - realestate.com.au
    Sold for 520K recently. Can't see how you can divide it into 3 lots as it is currently R20 on 913 SQM. Can anyone please explain how it can be divided into 3?
    in my view, good potential - buy and forget about for 3-4 years until zoning changes...
    B. 8 Hamilton St Bayswater WA 6053 - Residential Land for Sale #201908334 - realestate.com.au
    Advertised as expression of interest. Very close to Train station. R40 Mixed Use. 948 SQM. Any idea on price?
    2. People here mentioned Clay in Ashfield / Bassendean / Bayswater areas. Does anyone have a map detailing where is clay at? Generally speaking, how far away from the River can you find clay? How do you identifiy it when viewing a property?

Thanks in advance,

Swoosh

doubletoplei and Perthguy like this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Welcome @Swoosh30

A. I don't see how it's going to work as a 3 lot subdivision either with it's current zoning even taking the corner variations allowed.

B. Last time I checked they wanted around $1m for the Hamilton St site - which is why it's hanging about. It has a LOT of slope. Probably a 4m fall over the block. The good news is that it's not clay but there is significant retaining to get anything to work. I help look after a project across the road where the slope goes up and it has had significant issues and delays due to the slope.

Identifying clay can be hit and miss, quite hard visually unless it's super super obvious like some of the Swan Valley. There are some geological maps that some use to get an idea but the other thing to do is just call Structerre who probably do the majority of the geotech in Perth and ask if they have done any samples/reports on that street. It's not 100% but it will give you an idea.

For high level map there are a number around you can google - some good ones in this document but it's very very high level https://www.water.wa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/1680/52616.pdf

doubletoplei, pwt and Anthony Brew like this.
  18. Swoosh30

Agree. What would be your opinion if they rezone this to R40/R60 or more?

Good to know. Had no idea the slope was so strong. Was wandering how much this would be going for b/c of the potential. City of Bayswater may change that whole area to R60-R100 at some stage as they are planning a major reno to the station area.

19. Swoosh30

Do you generally pay for this service or is it free over the Phone? If you pay, can I ask how much?

20. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Free. River side in Bassendean is the risk area for clay and mosquitoes!