WA Post a Bargain - Perth 2018

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Spiderman, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

I did view this on the weekend 14 Batten Street Coolbellup WA 6163 - House for Sale #128276478 - realestate.com.au I did love the house but had my doubts about the area

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah that sort of thing. I think is better financially than some of the stuff you've linked in hammy hill.

How well do you know either area though? Or is it just what you've heard by reputation generally? For example, in coobie, the north side and the northeast side are a lot better.

There's good areas of both suburbs, and some truly horrible areas in both as well. You don't want to get that wrong for an IP, let alone a PPOR. Worth doing some more on the ground research if you haven't already.

Cmelderis and Perthguy like this.
  3. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

Thanks thatbum. That one is now under offer. Without living in an area for a period its going to be hard to ascertain the lifestyle on offer there but yes I could do more driving around etc.
    Still torn as I said between middle ring buy,retain, subdivide in future strategy and the closer proximity, smaller block, reno strategy
    I keep looking at both and waiting for an epiphany :p

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

There's still a lot you can do without living there, and that's better than simply driving around. Talk to people - other people who live there, locals in neighbouring areas - even real estate agents you get you know (without a vested interest of course). Even other forum peeps from Perth can be a good source.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

This market is not one when you try to fall in love with a sub bar suburb telling yourself it will be worth it ,particularly if it will be your ppor.

Eg is you've hypothetically got plans of buying a 500k ppor as above and spending the same again for an IP a year or so later to spread the caoiral around, imo (and provided you pick correctly), you would be faaaaaaaar ahead spending say 800k on your ppor now or whatever you can stretch to in that region and getting a far better calibre of property that will see greater gains than the 2 pronged approach, plus they'd be tax free gains potebtopote too

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Let me translate @sanj's 5 thumb phone typing

caoiral = capital
    potebtopote = to boot?

JL1 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Just a "putting in my two cents". Keep in mind we have an investment property that we may soon sell in Coolbellup so there may be bias in the Hammy Hill/Coolbi comparison.

However, some feedback I got some time ago is Coolbi is really developing (yes slowly) but with a bit more community vested interest. Apparently, there were "I love Coobi" t-shirts getting around not that long ago.

Also do your own due diligence but new Woolies going in at Coobi.

I think @sanj advice is worth noting in the current lending landscape and... I also think don't discount properties that haven't been styled or just need some paint. :)

8. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I like it - Camm Ave is a bit busy but it's certainly manageable. I would consider that definitely a sale at land value.
    For me, if you could increase your deposit, and could stretch to something like that, you'd be set to use it as a future PPOR in your wife's desired location. RSHZ is always a winner for rentals and growth in the area.

Damo93 likes this.
  10. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

I did notice the street was a little busier, i think the quieter streets in that and the surrounding areas can go for $1000/sqm or more.

How do you work out whether a property is close to land value?

We’d be looking at 20% deposit at this stage, i would move in so my current rent would go on the mortgage and when she has acquired enough experience in her field would join me there in 3-5 years time.

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

12. Swoosh30

Swoosh30 Well-Known Member

Propin and thatbum like this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Propin and Swoosh30 like this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Is it only a duplex block? I thought it was triplex at first but not sure. An agent told me she had buyers for triplex in the area for $700,000. Yes, It’s not the nicest spot near the Remote control car track.

15. Swoosh30

Swoosh30 Well-Known Member

It is a potentially triplex site (R25 gives you min 300 average 350 with Battleaxe min of 425.
    However it is very tight and you may not get that approval.
    DD is required.
    Location is really bad though....

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that battleaxe needs to be min 425.
    Is that requirement for R25 or specific to this location/council?

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, yucky!!!!! Not a bargain. Apparently the industrial was suppose to move to the Bassendean industrial site on the other side of Guildford Road but never did. Shame! 25? Yrs ago 7693F853-7215-4B70-903A-987E5A5EA23C.png

Perthguy likes this.
  18. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

Yep that's a shocker much much better properties closer to Bassendean or bayswater. Stay away from that industrial area.

19. tonnyhii

tonnyhii Member

I have an investment property in Leederville which currently zone changed from R80 to Regional Center.
    This investment property is one of the three villas.
    Can anyone advise how will this zone change impact on the property price?

Thanks

20. doubletoplei

doubletoplei Well-Known Member

So this property was sold for 399K, but now leasing for $275 (dropped from $290) and still on the market, mmm. Even it is a good buy as per everyone has discussed here, the buyer will have to take some damage to his/her pocket for the next few years... Leased for $330 a few years back, wow!