Possums in the between floors

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by mike, 28th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mike

mike Member

Tenant for 2.5 years in this property. Since 4 weeks we have possums rattling at night above our bedroom which is on the ground floor (living area is upstairs).
    Possum technician comes to inspect, result is no entry point found around the house, but they cannot assess completely because there is a 10cm gap between the house next door which is too small to get in (see photo). He reckons they might enter from that side but would not do any job or advice because they cannot guarantee to resolve it.
    Property manager says there's nothing they can do.
    These pests are loud as hell at night, only way is to use ear plugs and even then...
    Any suggestion?

My idea is to put a camera on that side wall and see if it captures any activity to provide evidence.
    Other thinking is that they probably come through that power cable from the house next door; to put one of those disks on the cable do you have to ring the power company or council?

IMG_2971.jpg

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Lazy possum guy? Hasn't suggested cages? Are you sure they're possums not rats? Is there any construction work nearby which has disturbed them?

3. mike

mike Member

He did suggest a mesh with one-way exit but wouldn't put it in the report, for the reason above.
    No I am not sure but there's heaps of possums in this area can see them on trees every night.
    There is a construction work couple of houses behind. Do you think you can use this argument somehow?

4. Scott No Mates

Construction work disturbs rodents and nocturnal animals - they've found a new home.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They could fit in that gap between the houses. I'd try another possum guy. I'm guessing your landlord is paying for this. We've always paid for this stuff in our rentals and don't expect our tenant to pay.

We got them out of our roof (didn't mind them being there but thought we'd provide possum boxes in our yard instead) and they found entry into the steel beams between top and lower levels of our house.

Our possum guy set one way exits and once those were tripped and he knew they had gone from that section, he sealed it up.

Most of that gap could be closed with timber, leaving top and bottom open with one way doors. I don't know who legally can put a disk on the cable, but that won't work as they can come in via another cable and across the roof.

Our guy is a wildlife ranger and not a "possum man". He was really reasonable priced, came several times and (without checking my banking) I reckon for maybe six trips (or more) we didn't pay much more than $1k all up.

mike likes this.
  6. mike

mike Member

Correct. Currently the property agent doesn't want to do anything because the report they received from the possum guys is inconclusive. I'll ask if they can send another one but unlikely.

That's exactly what he suggested, but didn't put it in the report. We did suggest this to the prop manager

7. Scott No Mates

Set a small fire in the corner of the building, that will usually drive vermin out. :eek:

Oops, you may need lessor Approvals & CFA permits.

8. fpap

fpap Active Member

I had a Possum family living in my roof space for a short while and the noise they make is horrendous.
    Get a Possum cage from your local council as most councils have them for loan.
    Use apple halves smeared with peanut butter. They go nuts for it (see what I did there?).
    You really need to find out where they are coming in from as well, because if you catch them another Possum family will probably move in.
    Also, once you catch them you cant just dump them somewhere as it's illegal to do so and they are a protected species. Read this.
    I reckon the camera is a good idea to find out where they are coming in/going out of. Once you know then block up the hole, but make sure no Possums are trapped inside.
    Good luck

mike likes this.
  9. mike

mike Member

Almost a year since I posted this. Since then the landlord agreed to put a wooden slat at the front but possums are still coming in, and we believe we found the entrance point (outside the bedroom because we can hear them on the side wall) but the landlord would not do anything anymore.
    Understand that there is no guarantee that it will fix it but it makes it frustrating to be woken up every night and all the consequences of sleep disruption/deprivation.
    What options do we have as tenants? (we are in VIC)

10. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Can’t you find another place to rent ? What is the point renting if you can’t sleep there.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you find droppings you can confirm the problem. Or a motion sensor camera. Pest companies can do that. Then they will consider a trap and address the correct solution.

I would get a pest company to report on the issue. Pest include little insects and can be large like a possum. If they arent possums its easier to exterminate rats and mice. But you cant kill possums by baiting.

Pests and infestations in a rented home

mike likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Ok I have nothing to contribute, except to say I chuckled at this. This is a profession? I'm picturing a guy with all these fancy diplomas hung on his wall!

(I'm not belittling his job. I think everyone including garbage men deserve respect, there's just something about the title that make me laugh)

Never giveup likes this.