Possibly moving to the Gold Coast - better to buy, right?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Northboy, 18th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

Great advice @Marg4000. I was wondering about the games, and I certainly don’t want to buy into the hype of it all. It depends on the jobs I am already applying for up there, but if I get one I’m now leaning towards jumping on to good old flatmate finder and sharing a place with someone for a few months. Not ideal but cheap and gives me a feel for the place. Trying my best to not let this mini life crisis lead to poor financial decisions long term.

2. Northboy

That’s true, but by having no mortgage on the PPOR, then using the equity straight away to borrow back into shares, you not only have dividend payments potentially covering the interest on the loan for the shares, but the interest also becomes tax deductible.

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You need to run the numbers. How much is cgt? How much can you refinance? Depends on your job and income. What if you cant find a job for 6 months?

Northboy likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

as it does with any well designed debt recycle strategy.

The primary differences between buying for cash or with a loan are

• peceived convenience - no loan app hassles
    • Cash offer with fast settlement and no finance clause - may get a good deal with a distressed seller
    • eliminate the finance risk of not being able to get a loan when you get here due to low or no income for a while.
    • eliminate the risk of cash out issues - not insurmountable - but typically a pain
    et al

ta
    rolf

Northboy likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

This thread is a bit old, the gold coast seems to be booming (am i seeing things? Or am i right) .... it might be very difficult to get a good deal at the moment. If you see one you might have to act.

Having said that the GC is a mixed bag, and the hinterland seems to have good bargains.

6. Northboy

This thread is old? I just started it! It’s new for me, I’m currently going through a mini work/life crisis and appreciate all the PropertyChat-ers offering me advice and potentially stopping me from doing something stupid.

I’ve not heard that the GC market is booming. Certainly not so much with apartments that I can see. The comm games may have created some excitement but not sure it is translating.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This thread only started yesterday!

But there are other long running threads on different aspects of the Gold Coast market.
    Marg

Northboy likes this.