Possibly Cheaper Alternative to Granny Flat?!

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by +men, 2nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. +men

+men Well-Known Member

Portable Building Homes Supplier | Granny Flat accommodation

Came across this 'portable home' website today. It looks like a shipping container from outside, but it cost less than 50k for a 2 bedder self contained "home". The material doesn't look too bad from the video. Just wondering if any PCer bought something like this before?

Throw one of these on your backyard to improve cashflow, probably also subjected to council approval like granny flat.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Gotta love plan "J" no bath/shower and you have to go outside to come back in to the dunny!

3. Lincsus

Lincsus Well-Known Member

I checked out the portable homes. 50-55k for the kit. Homes are not too bad but 40-45 sq m. Add another 2k for transport, 20k for plumbing and wiring, 7k for private certifier, comes out 82k for a small 42 sq m granny flat. I can get regular 60 sq m granny flat with much better finish for 120k. Don't really see the savings.

Archaon likes this.
  4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Yeah I checked out heaps of portable homes and tiny homes & shipping container homes. They are so cool! I wanted to put one in my yard like a granny flat to rent out. I ended up buying a Scanvogn trailer which is like a tiny house on a trailer so I could tow it like a caravan if I moved house or go on holidays. It's proven to be really handy, I took it to a friends farm up north for a week while I went to visit the family there and am actually considering travelling around Australia in it. It would be handier than an RV because you could set up but still pop down to the local shops in a normal car. and better than a caravan because it's easier to clean and bigger and don't need to set up.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

In my mind...
    [​IMG]

or the luxury McMansion split level series
    [​IMG]

New Town and BuyersAgent like this.
  6. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Issue is in financing.
    I have a post about it from my earlier years of investing.

Eg.
    Built a property $60k - converted demountable unit. Rents $275/wk. Couldn't refinance as it was considered a removable structure. Though council approved. Future buyers will have same issue with val stacking up.

If I have built a proper granny flat for $120k. Rent would be $350/wk. Could refinance at get back $80k.

So it would have cost me $40k from own pocket, and rent would be an additional $75/wk or $3,900/yr.

Savings a few bucks cost me more in the long-term.

Andy909 and Sticky like this.