Possible scammer on CarSales, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dan Donoghue, 30th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe try a reverse image search? There's still no guarantee that he hasn't just sent you a photo of a license or has stolen the license to use for scamming?

The biggest alarm bells going off here is that they want a convertible.....in the NT?!

Wet Season anybody?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It's def a scam. I would've toyed with them...give them a dose of their own medicine.

3. Steve Py

Steve Py Member

Then you haven't seen or haven't recognized when you've seen a half decent photoshop. With about 2 spare hours I could send you a copy of Donald Trump's Qld driver's licence.

I PS for a hobby, a lot of touch up work for prints, photo restorations, and a fair bit of goofy stuff for coworkers. Simple copy & paste is easy to spot (and surprising how easily it can still fool people) but with a bit of patience & practice doing stuff like scratch/fold/artifact removal from photos, and tone/hue & shadow adjustments in photos, adding and removing watermarks is a snap.

4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Agreed - I used to play with PS a hell of a lot. It's very easy to make something look very legit.

Definitely a scam email though. The same wording was doing the rounds for years. It varies between mining, military and oil rigs.

5. Koalalui

Koalalui Active Member

It's a scam, heard many very similar stories like that. Wordings are very similar, using similar concepts, works in fly in fly out basis, only has access to the internet, no phone access blah blah blah then ask a courier to come & pick your car

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

anyone can get/steal a copy of a randoms drivers license,

Im selling a car and get one of these a week

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Feel sorry for the guy/girl actually sitting on some random oil rig, looking at carsales , and actually genuinely wanting to buy a car!
    imagine the abuse theyd cop

Morgs and mikey7 like this.
  8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think you should stop looking for reasons to let this guy rob you. This is literally the oldest trick in the Nigerian scammer playbook. No cars for sale in Darwin? Get a grip man. Or ask him to pay you via Western Union :D

Also, you've obviously never been to Khao San Rd in Bangkok:

Khao San Road Fake Fakes Id License Certificates Stock Photos & Khao San Road Fake Fakes Id License Certificates Stock Images - Alamy

NT drivers license doesn't have a watermark.You need video to check a hologram properly:

Identify fake or false ID - NT.GOV.AU

Warning over online scammers targeting car buyers and sellers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Gumtree Scam - Oil Rig/PayPal

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2019
    Morgs and TMNT like this.
  9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys, I can't believe how tricky these buggers have gotten in recent times. I have cut contact with the person.

kierank likes this.
  10. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

I got that same email when I put my ad up on carsales about 4 weeks ago. I totally dismissed it as a scam.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you put it on gumtree you'll have even more messages.

The dead give away usually is that they refer to nothing about the car make or model. The whole message is designed to be sent for just about any car, bike, caravan etc on carsales

I have bought interstate from carsales without seeing the car. It was a vintage car and I arranged for a car transport company to pick it up so it does happen for rarer cars. I just made contact then phoned the guy. He took extra photos for me, even a facetime/video chat to hear the engine etc. I was working for Chevron (Oil and Gas) at the time - I had every dodgy tick against me but a genuine buyer will always sound genuine and ask the right questions.

TMNT likes this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I had a laugh yesterday when I got threatening call on my mobile at 4:50pm. The automated caller from (supposedly) from the ATO.

First laugh: public servants don’t work past 4pm :D.

The recorded message stated that the ATO was about to take legal action due to some tax indiscretion (sorry didn’t take too much notice).

Second laugh: it advised that I should “press 1 to connect to the ATO”. Your turkey, I thought I was connected to the ATO :eek:.

I (accidently) hit the hang-up button :).

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

me and my family have got multiple calls from NAB from 3 mobiles and landline and if you call it back it says "welcome to NAB"

only one of us has a NAB account,

obviously a scam but wondering if the number we called is actually nab or not

kierank likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Almost definitely still a scam. I got scammed out of a laptop by a person with a valid looking drivers licence and I also took his number playe details. The licence was stolen and the plates were stolen.

15. Perthguy

Always google the number and call the number from the official website.

I got a call from someone claiming to be from the ATO. She did not give me a number to call back, just a reference number. I looked up the number on the ATO website and quoted the reference number. Turns out she was actually from the ATO!

kierank likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I googeld the number and they all said its NAB

Who called you from 0341000198 (+61341000198) ? | au.shouldianswer.net

I cant tell if its a scammer pretending to be from nab or NAB just spam calling people

17. Perthguy

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I went off my na'na, abusing some foreign sounding guy who claimed to be from the ATO and was calling about a debt ... rang the ATO back direct to check and found out it was legit.

Oops

Perthguy and Dan Donoghue like this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If i get a legit call from someone from the bank for example, and asking me to confirm my name and DOB, ive always had no hesitaition to give it

but from reading multiple scam reports, and some people who receive the same legit call from the bank, now say to the staff member "well you called me, why dont you tell me your personal name and DOB, why are you randomly calling me and then asking for my details"

which sounds paranoid, but makes a lot of sense

20. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's a funny one this one because I have had people say they won't give their details even if it is the bank.

Well I would imagine these same people would be pretty upset if the bank called and allowed some random to change their bank details simply because they found their phone. This is why the bank verifies you even though they called you, they don't know your voice and they have no guarantee it is you who answered.

I do get peoples paranoia and desire for privacy but if you want that then you can't have the convenience that comes with giving up this information :).

TMNT likes this.