Possible house movement? Why is most cornices detached from walls?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Propin, 19th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Would anyone know why the cornices would be detached from the walls. House is around 15 years old. The biggest gap I can stick my finger through it. I’m guessing the web by sand is from ants and spiders in the ceiling coming through the gaps? Doesn’t look like termite mud.
    Is the sarking concerning too? There is some leaks in ceiling too.

Attached Files:

2. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

If I were in this situation, I'd quickly engage a pest & building inspector to look into this.

Propin likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A few different things happening by the looks of things. The dust just looks like it’s coming through the gaps in the cornice - roof spaces tend to be dusty and cobwebby.

One of the ceilings looks like the plaster join is separating/dropping sIgihtly along the lengthwise edge of the sheet- possibly due to no backblocking. Very fixable if so.

Sarking? I couldn’t see any sarking shown in the photos.

Propin likes this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks heaps! I thought darling was the lines you get in the plaster ceiling when some homes are built but could be totally wrong!! 21749D7B-EBCA-4356-93E0-AE9B15798879.png

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If the ceiling is at an angle to the window, you can often see the slight curve and edges of joins in ceilings with a ‘level 4’ plaster finish - when light ‘glances’ across the join. It’s not actually a fault.

But there shouldn’t be a very distinct groove! Unless it was a bad DIY job.
    Ikm not saying it’s anything more than cosmetic in this case . If you are concerned, get a structural engineer in to look for house movement.

Do you own this property?

Propin likes this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

No. It just scrapes into my daughters budget the size of the property is great but has a few obvious issues - both bathrooms have minor water proofing leaks, there were around 4 leak marks on the ceiling. In these two photos the water marks? Rodent excretement? run along the groove in the ceiling for around 40cm -50cm. Bit strange! I think it was only the large open plan area that had the ceiling lined and the bedrooms looked fine. I ran out of time to take photos looking for cracked roof tiles from the back of house but the front tiles looked fine. If I could get away with $10,000 worth of repairs I’d buy (subject to Building Inspection) . Agent may be able to squeeze me in for a second inspection.

Attached Files:

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Looks like water leak.

The Y-man

Propin likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Can't believe it is only 15 YO.

You'll need someone to take a peak where that mark is - and trace the water back. There can be a leak a fair way away, which travels along the rafters.

Might even be an overflowing gutter.

I am assuming there is nothing upstairs?

The Y-man

Propin likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes it’s a bit strange to have so many issues so I’m trying to work out how risky it is and if it’s worth putting in an offer subject to building, there is 3 offers already. I’m thinking maybe when it was built the owners may have carried out some work themselves - painting in and out certainly looks like that.

Thanks!

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It looks a bit older than 15 years; has it had an extension?

Propin likes this.
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head!! No extension. Agent must have built year wrong. No extension and core logic has incorrect house details also from what I could find. Other houses in the street were built 1988 - 2012. With the wear and tear I think it may be more consistent with mid 90’s. My last PPOR was built 1994 and had similar features and the waterproofing issue which was common in that building era.