Portuguese Millipedes...how to get rid of them?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by mini2, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Type that in Google and nearly all the posts are Canberra related so it must be a city specific problem...anyway, what's the best way to get rid of them before engaging a professional in to sort them out? Thanks :)

Having them popping up all over the place makes me feel a little unease.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

3. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

If they are the same ones I'm thinking of, they are rampant in Tassie for a few months of the year. Apparently they are attracted to light. My parents sealed up their windows and doors and sprayed around the house just before winter ( I Think) before they invade. A poster @legallyblonde may be able to comment further if they are the same things

4. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like there's an infestation of them, they seem to be popping up around the place down here in sunny Canberra. Not a single one had shown up in my room but a few dried up ones have appeared in the laundry. Looks like I'll chuck this into the too hard to DIY basket and get a pro in.

One of my colleagues have dumped a whole heap of mulch on his property and that triggered a huge growth of them.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We get them in some areas of Perth (mainly the semi rural areas)

They are attracted to light so make a trap with a solar light surrounded by some half cut poly pipe. They should crawl towards the light and into the pipe and not be able to crawl back up the pipe

BTW when you have them here you can crunch on the dead bodies all through your house - it's disgusting. If you only have a few then get some outdoor barrier spray and see if that helps.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Deport them and set an example to the others, that'll keep them from coming back.

7. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Yeah @4point5million we have the hear heaps.. I live in an old cottage with heaps of places for them enter. They really don't bother me. Thankfully they aren't in plague proportions at my house.. I normally just find them dead and curled up on the ground. So not an issue.

My issue has been with little skinks making themselves at home in my clean laundry pile.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ask them to work for food. They'll soon scamper ;)

Westminster likes this.
  9. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I've never seen them in Canberra, however my dad has a massive problem with them in Adelaide.

His neighbour put down some mulch and since then he probably has 100 or more inside his house each morning. If you go outside you can see them everywhere. Not sure what he's tried to get rid of them.

10. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Crunch crunch .... thats gross

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup when they go inside they die and get crunchy but they are like lemmings and swarm towards the lights inside even though it ends in certain death.

legallyblonde likes this.
  12. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

I've given up on eradicating them. It will be interesting to see how many turned up between Thursday arvo and tomorrow morning.