Portafolio and IP

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Carlos86, 14th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Carlos86

Carlos86 Member

Hi all,

I’d like to share my current situation with the forum.

We are a couple in our early 30’s with a combined income of 320 k. We have just had a baby which has changed our perspective of life quite a bit .

We own 4 investment properties as follows:

IP1
    2 bedroom apartment in Northcote, Melbourne
    Value: $600k
    Rent: 390 $/week
    Equity: $160k

IP2
    2 bedroom townhouse in Fawkner, Melbourne
    Value: $650k
    Rent: 420 $/week
    Equity: $170k

IP3
    3 bedroom house in Keperra, Brisbane
    Value: $900k
    Rent: 530 $/week
    Equity: $420k

IP4
    3 bedroom house in Kallangur
    Value: $650k
    Rent: 500 $/week
    Equity: $120k

We also have a small portfolio of shares. We are currently renting but would like to buy a house in the Mentone area in 2 years time.

My initial thought is to pull some equity from IP3 and also sell IP 1 as i believe is the asset with worse capital growth potential. Would that be a fair call?
    However I’m also unsure of the capital growth of the townhouse in Fawkner.

I’m keen to know your thoughts.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hi Carlos

hard to say, because it depends a lot on what that home on Mentone may cost in 2 years time, let alone where rates and therefore borrowing capacity will be in that time.

Youd want to avoid LMI if possible, since with a current median price on the 1.4 range LMI will be exxy.

Cant comment on the growth ( or decay) of the existing properties, im sure others will have a few though.

When u say you have equity of X, is that the difference between the loan amount and the stated value ?

ta
    rolf

3. barnsey

barnsey Member

I am not an expert by anymeans but I'd say it depends on what your goals are. Once you buy the PPOR in Mentone, are you going to be done in terms of property? Or are you planning to keep buying more IPs?

The reason I say your goals are important is because the decision you take now will impact serviceability in future hence your ability to buy the property after (if you so wish). The property you buy in Mentone will tie up a lot of capital and you will lose some of that yield you are enjoying now which will impact serviceability.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.