NSW Port Stephens

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Biz, 1st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Ouch, that'd put a few people off.

tomlemke likes this.
  2. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

@Biz did you end up holding?
    Market still seems hot, lots in lemon tree selling in the first week, looks like 20% growth everywhere on the tilligerry peninsula at the moment, if you time it right, the next 6-12 months might be your chance to cash in?

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

S s s s s s soooold. Glad to be out of there. Don't care if it increases another 20%, not enough to make me want to deal with bogan tenants constantly. I actually got a decent price but then had to drop it a bit or risk losing the deal because the bank val came in short for the buyer.

JesseT and ellejay like this.
  4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Good to know this. I'm going there on holiday in a couple of weeks and would have been at risk of an emotional ip purchase :)

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

headland1.jpg I sold up in Shoal Bay early this year and was stunned at the price I got :D have watched houses in the street behind me Ocean Beach Rd go for a million and a house just up from mine sold in less than 10 days. My agent told me Shoal Bay is hot at the moment after years of Nelson Bay, Soldiers Point etc being popular and there is a lack of 4 bedroom 3 bathroom homes in the suburb.

Having said that I wanted to leave because living up there from in Summer was becoming impossible for the locals because of the tourists, we knew it was a tourist resort when we bought 20 years ago but it has become so bad over the last few years that I and others have left the area. Parking in town, beach and shopping impossible during the season and I stopped using the walk from Shoal Bay to Fingal because of the behaviour of some visitors.

Beautiful scenery taken from Tomaree looking to Fingal Bay Spit.

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2016
    tomlemke and Biz like this.
  6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

It's really hot in Shoal Bay atm. My folks have been looking to buy a holiday house there and can't find anything decent. Most getting snapped up in days or prior to auction. I've been telling them to wait because it will settle down big time in a couple of years but they want what they want...boom bust town there.

I used to like 20 years ago when they would close off the main stretch there for New Year's Eve. People with wheelie bins and trolleys full of pi$$. Scrag fights, undesirables bumping uglies in people's back yards. Good times. It's an alcohol free zone now :( I can still remember the smell of blood and vomit in the street the next day. :D

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2016
  7. Gonz

Gonz New Member

I know exaclty which house he is talking about. We've been hunting for a couple of months now. I've been living in the area for 5 years.
    I am currently in the market to purchase in Anna Bay or anywhere in the area suitable.
    The last 3 months have seen massive growth. There will be more to come I think. I went to an open house today that has not even been advertised and there were 4-5 groups having a look. Insane.

TomLemke, I can probably work out which house you listed. Those houses are going 30-40k over value in my rookie opinion. I will be door knocking in the area as soon as our IP sells in Sydney - separate saga.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I was actually up there in the April holidays and was very impressed with what I saw in PS (first ever visit). The sand dunes, beautiful beaches - Fingal in particular, the Anchorage, Tomaree Mountain etc. A few bogans around but they were there first, so can't argue.

Would even make the shortlist in the thread I started a couple of years ago thread The Next Byron Bay [NSW]

Where did you end up moving to if you thought Shoal or Fingal was unbearable?

Vacant likes this.
  9. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Things never really settled down, they plateau for a while and then went up again and again. Shoalbay and Fingal just kept moving up and up in the last 3yrs especially.

Last edited: 22nd May, 2022
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Beachfront is prime ... as soon as you get of the beach, reputation re the socio economic standard, and building quality, drops rapidly. A lot is not really "walking distance" to the beach.

A friend has a couple of self managed Airbnb's in Nelson, and does well

11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Lesley$$$ likes this.
  12. Lesley$$$

Lesley$$$ New Member

Has anyone come across a decent flood map for that area? Shoalhaven council has a brilliant one you can search by address but I've not seen anything for Shoal Bay / Nelson Bay / Salamander as yet. tia.

13. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Amazing how much this has changed. Everywhere in Anna Bay is walking distance to the beach. All the riff raff has been replaced by young families, tradies and working professionals and finally taken the stigma with them.

Though I’d agree the building quality is representative of volume builders popping out group homes, plenty have been tastefully renovated. It’s such a lovely little community now and I was quite sad to leave it.

The occasional fly over from the jets but it’s not on their obnoxious training routes. Water contamination is largely contained to areas around the RAAF base, Salt Ash etc.

We’ve kept our property in case we want to retire there and it’s worth twice what we bought it for so we’re pretty happy.

To me it’s a better area than Shoal/Nelson/Fingal Bays because of its 40 minute commute to Newcastle, but I’m also swayed by the surf.

Saints lad likes this.
  14. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

We're looking to purchase our retirement place there now - 3/2/2 townhouse/duplex Fingal Bay on the hill with water views around 1.3m, if anyone's got/knows one :)

Saints lad likes this.