Porcelain timber look plank tiles

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Westminster, 31st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I know I've talked about these tiles before but got some good photos from @devank 's project in Perth to show you.

These are 'cheap' timber look tiles at $66/m2 - at a cash rate you'd probably get these for about $50/m2. At this rate the planks are not as long or wide as the ones which are around $100/m2 ++

Desktop Duplex Development

They are not the cheapest porcelain tile but they are a lot cheaper than wood/bamboo and very IP friendly - much more so than timber laminate. You can also use many of these tiles outside and in wet areas depending on the slip rating for them.

The ones pictured are in a beachside suburb so they are a worn beachy look timber. I can't wait to see how it will look with all the trim and walls painted.

Sackie likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Why have I not looked at that thread yet!??:mad:

I have some reading to do! :)

Westminster likes this.
  3. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Nice. I have been looking at those but a bit darked for our bathroom reno.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We put them in our kitchen reno as were struggling to find something that would butt up against the awful "faux" limestone tiles we inherited in the dining/living ... they came up amazing and look great against the white cabinetry. We went the darker tiles to contrast with the white - the window frames are timber - they had some of the colour of the existing tiles without trying to match

WP_20160201_002.jpg

Sackie, WattleIdo, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That looks good @Lizzie - great tonal variety to blend in with the other tiles. I agree not a match but who'd want to match that :)
    I heard a saying the other day, it was something like 'clothes should coordinate, not match' and I think the same rings true for interior design. You want colours to coordinate or compliment each other not be too matchy matchy.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Looks a bit too much for my bland tastes for an IP.
    But good on you for trying something different.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like tiles that look like wood planks. Especially when they have the texture like wood. :)

Sackie likes this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We put very similar vinyl click together floor planks in our Central Coast IP in the basement. They cost $40 sqm and are the easiest flooring we have ever laid, you just score with a blade and snap the plank by hand.

Basement Water (3).jpg

9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Big difference quality wise between click click floating timber floor and circa $100m2 porcelain tiles laid.

pinkboy

10. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We were originally going to go down the tile path but tiler didn't bother to show up and couldn't get any other tilers to even come out for a quote! I could have tiled it but our two week turn around would have turned into 2 months :p

EDIT: Also ours is vinyl not the timber laminate, the only tool you need is a stanley blade to lay it - easiest flooring job ever. It was also the only alternative to tiles for the basement.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I also wouldn't put them in an IP - this is our PPOR - where it's a rural property with rustic touches (sandstone fireplace, timber windows etc).

The area the kitchen is in a large area of kitchen, dining, lounge and second lounge ... with the rest of the area in the faux sandstone tiles ... so the kitchen is only a small segment so doesn't look overwhelming. Combined with the white cabinetry and off white walls it looks stunning. I'll try and get a better pic today - once the kids are at school and I've tidied up.

When I think of bland - I always think of my elderly aunt-in-law ... beige walls, carpet, lounge suite, cabinetry ... blergh

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nuther photo of the kitchen - very hard to photograph during the day, due to the big windows and the amount of light ... and trying to get the floor in ... think, when we come to sell, this room will have to be photographed at night. The unseen wall to the left is a bank of two 900mm pantries, side by side fridge and oven/grill/microwave/drawers tower ... view from the sink window is pretty good too ... don't mind the dogs' trampoline ... and I'm yet to build the crushed granite and paver fire pit area :D

WP_20160202_001.jpg

WP_20160202_002.jpg

S.T, Bran, Paterson00 and 5 others like this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I don't get it though.
    Why not just get wood?

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You wouldn't use real wood in a bathroom or wet area... it will rot and swell.....

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I spose.
    But you wouldn't expect anyone to think it's real.

16. Paterson00

Paterson00 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about trying to fool people, moreso having the effect of wood without the risk of the degredation, swelling and warping which, even with the best of installations and protection would still always be in the back of my mind as something to worry about with spills etc.