Poor/insufficent Building and Pest Report

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Spoony, 6th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I recently had a B&P done on a conditionally contracted property in QLD. The B&P provider I used was one recommended by a friend (whom is somewhat in the RE industry). I had the guy do my PPOR first as I found termites outside in the yard, house came up clear. I figured I'd use him the same week for the IP.

I attended the inspection, which was for a timber 3 bed single story, concrete stumps, 1950's build, with detached garage and detached backyard timber patio and deck.

The inspection took perhaps 1hr 15min. I was doing my own walk around with camera at the same time, and noticed he didn't use a camera. Previous reports I'd seen, and even had done years ago on my PPOR included photos to identify the issues. I though, OK, it's probably just how this guy works, all the detail will be in the notes.

Boy was I wrong. I could fill a page of things that I could identify that didn't even get mention in the report, be it minor or major defects. The price was similar to what others seemed to offer for this service, and while he mentioned a few things on the day (some of which didn't reach the report), I figured the content should be the same if I'm a local buyer or remote/interstate?

Other things to note is he didn't get inside the ceiling cavity, just stuck his head up, and didn't look at the top/outside of the roof at all, stating too high on the report :/ . It's single story on concrete stumps that would require one to belly slide under the house, so the roof isn't 'that' high. A standard extension ladder would get there (he had only a normal fold out). Surely one would expect these areas to be inspected properly?

A few things that didn't make it to the report (there are heaps more):

Detached Garage:
    (which is an old timber frame, sheet (asbestos) + tile construction, seen better days)
    • I noticed it had a lean on it, he agreed, (not reported)
    • Carportish construction off the side of the garage and attached to and supported by the boundary fence, no guttering, water exits over neighboring property (not reported)
    • Various tiles, downpipe and guttering issues (not reported)
    • I could go on with more , but the above seems like they should be listed.

Things like cracked tiles behind kitchen were mentioned but yet there was no mention of cracked external windows for example.
    The house had been leveled (upto 125mm adjustment at one end), he pointed out to me where the veranda had separated from the house due to this, not major concern, largely cosmetic, but again not reported.
    Visable broken downpipes also not reported
    He noted paint stress on outside window frames, but failed to mention collapsed in concrete paths as another example.
    Mentioned the outdoor A/C unit is not level, but fails to mention it's not even fixed down/almost falling over when touched, nor does the thing work/blow cold.
    There is also darkish sections on the ceiling, which may be mold, no mention of this either.

In total there is only 12 lines/items of defects listed taking up less than 1/2 a page, that' it for a 1950's property in at best fairly average condition.

While it appears the house is structurally sound without major defects, I expected the report to be comprehensive. It's missed so much I have little faith that it is actually sound and free of pests.

As I put an offer/contract the house after it was passed in at auction, and admittedly I initially played into the two RE agents games/lies (which they continue to play, despite contradicting themselves and each other on their stories), my DD wasn't as good as it should have been as I'd only been through on the open.
    In any case I'm very confident there is no other current interest on the property so had planned to use the B&P to further negotiate before unconditional. I know there are mixed view on this, but I think in QLD it's not uncommon. It's a business transaction after all, the seller has employed deceptive unethical agents to sell the property, which probably to a degree have had some success at extracting more money from me.

So I figure the B&P, which should have been quite an extensive and long winded report would allow for further negotiation before settlement. I'm not that phased if I loose the property, but do want to get the best outcome.

The report I've now got is pretty much useless for this purpose. I had planned to get a Builder contact in to quote all the required works and go from there, but will this hold much weight when the B&P doesn't even list a bunch of the issues he'd be quoting on?

I will be sending the B&P provider an email expressing my disappointment.