Poor Brisbane vs Rich Sydney

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Waterboy, 29th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Yes definitely Balmain and birchgrove are nice I'm personally a big fan of those leafy suburbs though in the inner North like Waverton and Wollstonecraft. Seriously thinking about getting a unit there I definitely can't afford a house there

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Big thumbs up for Waverton and Wollstonecraft. I think where I live is just as nice too, (we saw 2 Water dragons tonight by the side of Devlin’s creek which was very flowing this evening (yay rain!) while riding at the back of North Epping) but the difference is, is that it’s not as close to the city and the Harbour. But we got our big arse house for less than double a decent unit in one of those suburbs.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I dont agree entirely.
    I think people limit them self too much with Sydney as to what nice places are.
    I moved from Double bay townhouse to Sutherland shire. The amount of grief I received from my friends about moving down was incredible. Most have never been further South than Brighton and like many on this forum assume Sutherland is the Sutherland Shire.

Although i traded a townhouse for a large house which suited my growing family and kept over $100k.

The issue is Sydney is Huge. You can live in So many gorgeous parts you dont need to live in the inner city or Bondi to have a great life.

Most people dont even know where Port hacking is yet its one of the most gorgeous places in Syndey.

People suffer living in a small apartment in Cantebury , than move. It may involve a commute or a Job change ,but your lifestyle may improve. You can buy a place in Miranda for same or less and 4 min on train be at Cronulla beach jogging on the sand.

Same can be said for North and so many other places.

If you are not into beaches and like the green parks go to Mount Colah.

Again Sydney is enormous with houses starting at $500k going to over 100million.

Going to Kings Cross after Friday night than saying its dirty is so stupid and narrow minded.

If you cant see the Beauty in Sydney Australia has plenty to offer.

Sydney is not going to be affordable for all. It does not need to be.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Well said. From what we usually read here, one would think that the only reason people live in Sydney is to spend all their time in the inner ring. These same posters also seem to believe that there are no livable or habitable properties available under $1m.

5. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I got no problem with People from NSW moving to South East QLD, but geez it's tough to cop the droves of Victorians moving there. Bringing there horrid love of AFL, feral bogans, terrible taste in comedy and snobby attitudes towards food (fish and chippery?!?!).

Only joking... Melb food culture is awesome.

Luca and Codie like this.
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Good to see you have priorities straight...
    Really, this should be everyone's number 1 reason for being in Sydney. :)
    Having said that though, the 'talent' in brisbane isn't bad at all..

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And I argue not all of it should be. We all know places which are affordable for most and we know who lurks the streets.

Nup. Gotta have areas which lock out the undesirables price wise imo. I have noticed a huge change in who 'plays' in my area and surrounds over the past 15 years. There used to be alot more....' undesirables' around. No more the case. Now you'll see plenty of professionals, doctors and nurses from Europe working here and renting and more established families either owning or renting. Feels alot safer than 10 years ago.

8. Whitecat

I think there's plenty of places outside of the inner ring in Sydney but then there's not really much point of Sydney in comparison to Brisbane. Sydney is great if you are by the beach or the harbour there's nothing better in the whole of Australia in terms of a city but if you are far away from those places then in my experience you are better off living a stone's throw from the CBD in Brisbane in a big house

9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

If this summer is anything to go by, Brisbane got off relatively lightly with Bushfires and smoke haze.. if this is a regular thing moving forward, another lifestyle win for Brisbane.

Angel, willair and Whitecat like this.
  10. Whitecat

there seems to be a larger relative amount of single professional women in Sydney compared to Brisbane. And I'm looking for a partner so I thought I would try Sydney.