Pool Over Sewer lines

Discussion in 'Development' started by R.Brothers, 17th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. R.Brothers

R.Brothers Member

Hi All

I have been trying to buy a home in the Brisbane inner ring for some months now BUT most homes in these areas have sewer lines running through the back yard and in a lot of cases storm water too.

Our deal breaker is we want to be able to put in a pool.

Has anyone had experience installing a pool over these lines? or above ground pool even? Pool builders surprisingly have not got much info and urban utilities can only tell me the location of pipes.

Just reaching out here to see if anyone has been through the process:(

Thanks in advance.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd be very surprised if you'd be allowed to. They need access to dig up the pipes to repair at any time so you can't build a pool too close or over it.

My totally outside the box solution would be a transportable pool, like a container pool, but to remove it for pipe fixing you'd need to drain it into a water truck so not so easy

SHIPPING CONTAINER POOLS

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not going happen. The owners of the sewer & stormwater (BCC) isn't going to allow construction which imposes substantial loads over their assets without safeguards being put in place eg concrete encasement of the line or the installation of piers extending below the pipe to the bedrock.

Access to the asset being another issue.

4. R.Brothers

R.Brothers Member

Thanks guys, mainly asking as a lot of new homes have been built over sewer lines...(knock down rebuilds).
    I truly wonder in this market if people are checking these issues in their yards which would prevent further building as a lot of these homes have sold in days....

5. _Chris_

_Chris_ New Member

Hi, appreciate it's been a while since your post but how did you go in the end with your pool? I'm in the same boat and in Brisbane. I see I can install an above ground pool and put decking around it so it looks great however, keen to understand whether anyone knows of options that include a fiber glass pool as that will last longer.

6. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

In NSW it depends how deep the service is, I was able to up close to mine as long as I had piers which extended below the service and they were inspected and signed of by a engineer.

My neighbour build over the top of the sewer line, the line was 1180mm deep and before he could build, he had to have a WaterNSW approved Plumber excavate the line, install piers either side of the sewer, take photos of the Rio cage around the sewer, the concrete pour and then the pool design made that end the shallow end, which also had piers to remove any load on the concrete encasement.

In the end it added about $18k to his pool build and he had good access for machines, I only had 850mm, he had 3mtrs wide.

7. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I know you can get a "build over sewer" approval but that's usually for houses and garages but a pool is much deeper so I can't see how that would be possible without you actually hitting the sewer line.