Pool or no pool

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Justme-, 26th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Justme-

Justme- Active Member

Hi

Are they more cons than pro IP with pool ? thank you for your feedback

2. big max

big max Well-Known Member

We will probably get modes views on this but for a range of reasons I always opt for no pool.

3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

At what price point & what location?

4. Justme-

Justme- Active Member

low range $400k, Qld, but me too, always thumb down

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Depends on the area and type/value of the property IMO.

If I'm spending $1m in Noosa I'd like a pool - if I'm spending $300k in Egleby it will probably be more of a PITA than a benefit.

6. Justme-

Justme- Active Member

Thanks Jamie

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No pool.

Had an IP with pool which required ongoing maintenance etc, can be costly exercise.

If you do decide to buy a property with pool make sure you get the pool inspected same as a building inspection it's a must

8. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

No to pools for me for IPs - don't want the headaches/maintenance concerns.... less to go wrong

wylie likes this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

For me, IP with a pool is a big NO (financial reasons); PPOR with a pool is a big YES, especially in QLD (lifestyle choice).

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Pool, more maintenance issues etc. No pool.

11. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Ha! I have a pool in a house in Eagleby. $18 a week to maintain from Poolwerx and an extra $100pw rental return. Sounds like a good deal to me :D

Just like anything else, factor in the cost of having one and see if the return is justified

12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

No pool. Too much maintenance cost, too much arguing about whose responsibility it is to maintain what. Also fencing regulations to be complied with which in some states you need a new compliance certificate quite frequently.

13. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

My votes with no pool. My parents place has a pool, was awesome when I was younger. Now when I have to look after it when they travel it's a PITA

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Pool is fine, just subtract an extra 30k from the price (and try not to laugh at some of the agents expressions when you tell them your serious).

Justme- likes this.
  15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I doubt you're getting an extra $100pw by having a pool. Certainly not in Eagleby.

$18pw is the charge to service the pool. It doesn't account for the vac, filter and pump. All of which need replacing every 5-10years at around 500-1000 each.

16. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Happy to provide you with the property address and you can evaluate yourself;

3 Embley Court, Eagleby, Qld 4207 - View Sold History & Research Property Values - realestate.com.au

Without a pool would be $400 a week. Its been tenanted for $500pw for 18 months now. Met the tenants a few times and the key factor for them has always been the pool.

Vac, filter and pump are one offs, and they last way longer than 5 years. In 5 - 10 years you'll be replacing plenty of stuff in any house with or without a pool.

Nonetheless, pools, powered shed and outdoor living spaces always command a significant premium in rent due to the 'outdoor living' lifestyle of Queenslanders.

You tend to attract a certain type of tenant with pools as well - e.g. well employed young families with small children

17. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Looking at one now with a pool and looking for opinions from people that actually have (or had) them in their IP's. I've had them in PPOR but not in an IP. I wouldnt want the tenant maintaining it and would pay fool pool maintenance.

I'm really trying to accept the idea as this property really stacks up. 10km north Brisbane, mid $500's 4/2/2 lowset close to everything and PM's rental appraisal of $550-$580. property also has value add potential...just has that bloody pool.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2016
  18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I was hesitant to getting one with a pool too but the maintenance is fairly low plus you can manage the risk by arranging the pool boy to keep an eye on it each month and add the cost to the rent.

Renters out there want pools to! Especially in qld. they're not all after below median **** boxes :p

I thought i never wanted one but it matches the bigger type family house and that's what people want do its all good.

Id be very unlikely to get a pool in Melbourne! But would consider a helipad to help the tenants get out of there:D

19. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I've got an IPwith a pool - we're living in it now but always had good tenants when it was rented.
    Same as Qld, people like pools in WA. I would not be without one now.

We've had to replace the pump and something else - maybe the chlorinater? - which were expensive so I agree get it specifically inspected prior to purchase.

20. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

No pool on ip, too costly too maintain