Pool leak - does this repair cost seem reasonable?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 14th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A friend has a leak in a pool pipe that is too hard to reach (one meter below ground level, and the pipe runs partially under the stairs/corner of the pool).

The concrete pool is at ground level on the living areas, but really is above ground with deck joining the house on one side. The other side forms the side fence with access to the skimmer box sitting about 50cm below the edge of the pool. It has gardens and swimmers will never use that side of the pool (except to sit on the edge).

The leak is below the skimmer box, about one metre down (visible on the camera). That pipe runs under the pool corner (stair area) and I'm told the cheapest way to fix the leak is to run a new pipe, clipped to the pool side (unseen), through a low concrete wall and down to the filter right below on the ground.

My estimate is that the pipe will run say 10+ feet and then through the core drilled hole and down say six feet to the filter. Access is through the house, up a flight of stairs and through the back of the house.

Ballpark figure to fix is ~$1500 (I'm waiting on the quote). Does this seem about right considering the core drilling and slightly difficult access?

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Sounds cheap really

Too often the simple cost of "repair" is focus, yet it is more, such as unseen costs, insurance, call backs that can bite the repairer.

Would you be happy to pay $1,000 with no warranty ?

David_SYD likes this.
  3. wylie

Thanks @Stoffo. I thought it sounded ok, but haven't much to gauge it against. We had new piping run about four years ago and I can't recall what we paid, but I think it was maybe ~$1200 but my hubby did a lot of preparatory digging, so the pool guy just had to run new piping. I thought $1500 sounded ok in comparison.

I'm making the decision on accepting this quote for someone who is overseas, so thought it worthwhile posting here to see what others think.

I also don't like the idea of having to organise other quotes when this company might take two or more weeks (hopefully sooner) - they are super busy and knocking back work, so I don't want to muck about while the pool is losing water every day.

So I appreciate your input. ;)

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Getting any work done in Brisbane now is tricky, delays were common before the flood which just made everything worse.

If you feel the quote is even half-way decent, and if the job can be done reasonably soon, I would go with it.

Dave Radelaide, Sackie and wylie like this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Having dealt with a pool leak issue recently, I think this is reasonable.

wylie likes this.
  6. WillZ

WillZ New Member

@wylie how did it go? My pool has developed a leak that needs fixing, will appreciate if you can share the trade contact if you are happy with their work.

7. wylie

I just checked and they are happy with the leak fix. They have had two pools done by the same company, happy with both repairs.

They ask to be paid the day it is done but they say the work was good quality. Leaky Pool Guys.

WillZ and Stoffo like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.