Pool design - exposed concrete which complements coping tile?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 26th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We are in the process of putting an pool in and have selected a coping tile.

We are planning to concrete around the coping and trying to find an exposed concrete which will complement the coping tile and not actually overpower it.

I have attached some pictures of the small coping tile sample alongside the exposed concrete and plain coloured concrete.

Im interested to hear what others have done when it comes to matching coping tiles with surroounding concrete.

Many thanks,
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Anything dark will hold heat and make it impossible to walk on.
    Same can be said for exposed agregate, try walking barefoot on the stuff !
    Why are you wanting to go this way over tiling/paving it ?

Our pavers get too hot to walk on a few times a year
    Recently extended our pool area, so we have somewhere inside the fence to relax, a lot of work but will be worth it when the shade sail goes up ;)

Attached Files:

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I am confused. Are you using the aggregate for the edges of the pool (the coping), or will you use a bullnoze edged tile for the coping and something else for the pool deck?

Our pool tiles were filthy and old, but we didn't want to change the bullnoze edge tiles, so hubby left them there, jackhammered up the rest, and laid non-slip concrete pavers. I wouldn't want to walk on aggregate. Why not use a paver?

This is part way through, and I don't have a better photo (and it's dark outside). IMG_1629.jpeg

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there only 2 options for exposed aggregate? It would better to go with a lighter colour that might have some quartz in it to go with the light grey coping.
    PS we have concrete around our pool and it's honed aggregate so that it's not rough but still has a non slip feel

5. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Apologies for the confusion, but im having 400mm coping (with in the sample tile i attached).

I'm not sure why i didnt think of paving! The idea is to extend the one side of the pool area to allow for some deck chairs, umbrella etc.