Pool Builder in Sydney - what to look for

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Perky29, 4th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We are in the process of building a pool. It has been an interesting (and at times stressful) experience , and I thought I would share some observations on here to help any others contemplating the same.

First of all - I very much recommend this company who have rescued us from a bad situation -
    http://www.malibupools.net.au

We initially used a company based in Castle Hill (which I won't name here) - this guy was deceitful and misleading - we broke out of that contract before the dig began when we were lied to about what was REALLY included in the price. If anyone wants his details you can PM me.

What to look for in a contract -
    - Get a fully written quote sent before the salesman enters your home.
    - Make sure whats included in the quote.
    When signing the contract question everything - especially if it seems to conflict with the written quote..

What MUST be included -
    - Excavation , Removal , cartage and tipping (disposal) of dirt - this must be included or you will get a nasty surprise....
    -Is there "overburden" (extra dirt that needs to be dug - more relevant to a sloping site or where you want the pool to be same height as an alfresco area) - what does the overburden cost per cubic metre.
    - What is the cost of excavating per cubic metre if you hit rock / sandstone? Not 280 - something closer to 180 per metre is fair. Striking sandstone occurs more often than not so be prepared to pay more.
    -- Does the quote include a per metre "allowance" for these - Pool coping , waterline tiles (stack stone on waterfall if you have one) ..
    -Pool interior colour - what colours are the base range and are included?
    -Temporary fencing (usually 12 weeks is included)
    -Equipment inclusion such as filter , pump, chlorinator, lights, manual equipment.
    -Provision of solar heating / plumbing.
    -Building approval
    -Engineering design
    -Home building find
    -GST.

Ask about extra costs such as electrical, permanent pool fencing , solar heating and how does that compare to outside pricing (is it fair?).

Hope this helps!

David

2. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

This is really helpful. Thanks. We are investigating the option of doing a DIY fibreglass pool at the moment. Planning on using contractors for some of the work and doing as much as we can ourselves.

Am planning on getting a few companies out to quote as well. See if the saving is worth the effort.

3. Maria Anna

Maria Anna New Member

Hi David

I think we might be dealing with the same pool people is there anyway you can contact me because I am about to lodge a complaint with the Department of Fair Trading it would be interesting to speak to you

thanks Maria

4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Buggar I have just issued my pool plans to a certifier, better check we are not using the same pool company

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia