House & Home Pooch-proof leather sofa?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 7th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I need to buy a new sofa. We have a dog and live in the tropics.....

Any recommendations? What should I be looking for?

I've only ever bought cheap sofas which have died quickly... this time, I'd like to buy something that will last.

Been looking at bosa furniture online but happy to take any suggestions.

Help?

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Living in the tropics with a leather sofa? Hmm nothing like the feel of sweaty skin peeling away from the leather when you get up... :)

No leather sofa will be pet proof. I have a leather sofa and a dog and 2 cats.. it's only been damaged by the cats' claws (minor scratch marks), because the dog thinks that a good time to chase them is when they're on the sofa.

Dogs claws should be fine as long as they're trimmed and the dog doesn't run around on the sofa.

Don't buy a sofa online unless you've tested it... especially not an expensive one. Don't buy "bonded" or "fused" leather.

I can't suggest anything for you, but I hope that helps a bit.

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I have 3 sets of leather lounges. 1 cheap one and 1 expensive one and 1 bought second hand as a room filler.

The cheap one is about 8 years old and half of it is now a dog bed and is still in near perfect condition and doesn't look worn. The leather hasn't really degraded and gone soft (maybe it's not even leather?). Purchased from a place in melb that sells display home furniture.

The expensive one is just over 2 years old (freedom modular) and I noticed a flake in the leather the other day and it looks soft and worn in the spots that get sat in the most so I've rotated it to show the unloved seats some love. It's not very comfy :(

The second hand one has gone all crappy but it's rarely used and don't know it's history.

All I do is clean them with leather cleaner on a semi regular basis and that seems to keep them in pretty good condition.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Would you consider cane with canvas covered straw cushions?
    Or a modern style with washable covers?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought that you lived somewhere civilised and sent the dog to the tropics.

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Actually, we'd consider anything. Just need it to be good quality and dog-proof. We were thinking leather buy maybe the cane would work? It's a good suggestion....@phase2 makes a good point about sweating on a leather sofa.....

7. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

We don't really have an issue with sweat on the lounge but then again, we don't sit naked on it all that often :p

Leather, as opposed to some kind of material is super easy to keep the dog hair off.

DaveM likes this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'm not even going there... :) Shirts and shorts... arms and legs still sweat in the tropics. Unless you run the a/c relentlessly.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Due to the dogs sleeping on the everyday lounge (at night - after everyone is in bed - as they're not "allowed" on the furniture) I simply have some removable slip covers that get washed every week.

As for the leather lounge ... seems to have survived pretty well with a weekly water wash off

IMG_20160826_095031.jpg

Attached Files:

MTR likes this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'm now reconsidering the leather option after reading this thread. Might not work so well with cats?

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would not go leather, or vinyl, this will be a mistake I can assure you, know this one well.

I have 2 dogs and a cat and have found the best fabric is microfiber, here is some spin on it. My g/friend is an interior designer and this is what she recommends to her clients

Got this in charcoal and it looks great, elegant all the time and brilliant for those who have pets etc..... and so hides all the sins.:)

Microfiber

Microfiber is a unique synthetic material that incorporates miniscule polyester fibers into a tightly woven fabric. The result is a typically soft material that feels a little like suede or velvet. Some kinds of microfiber are denser and resemble the texture of corduroy. Microfiber works well for people with cats, since the closely-woven fabric makes it nearly impossible for cats to work their claws into the sofa and scratch it. Microfiber couches can be found in a modern or contemporary living room, because they give a smooth, sleek look.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2016
    Lizzie likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lizzie
    My dogs have the same favourite spots, on top of course:p

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I second the microfibre.

One leather lounge chair was destroyed by puppies' claws jumping up onto the lounge so they could look out the window then jumping back down again. (while i was at work) Maybe a lazy dog wouldn't do this. The sofa they didn't use is still in excellent condition about 15 years later. The cheaper microfibre lounge we now have in the living room collects dog hair like crazy but has not had any claw damage in the five years I've had it.

MTR likes this.