Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 3rd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Criticism of "political correctness" has also gone too far. The term embraces everything, but means nothing.
    Why can´t I dress up as an aborigine with a spear ! The damn PC brigade !

What is branded as "political correctness" is usually just.... "correct".

3. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Why can't I call lesbians dyes, or dark people niggas/sambos, or Jews kikes, or Greeks wogs, or Asian people chinks, or Arabs towel heads. Damn that political correctness.

4. Bayview

Criticism of PC has not gone too far. It is free speech in a Democracy....folks are now offended because others criticise the volume of PC used.

And that is the point.

PC has reached a point where it is a dumbing down/shutting down of almost everything that might offend someone....even the use of the criticsim of the term.:rolleyes:

For example; the ex-Aus of the Year who wants the word "Guys" to be banned in conversation as it might offend someone. o_O

Some things in life are correct, part of our free speech society, and they offend people.

Too bad, and those who are offended need to adjust their emotional reactions to everything.

You can wear an Aboriginal oufit and carry a spear, and no-one would care...other than the Aboriginals who would be offended and demand you change clothes, and/or the Civ LIb crowd who would be worried about offending the Aboriginals, and/or the Police who might view the spear as a dangerous weapon in public....and of course; the Pollies would rush out and legislate it is illegal to dress in their traditional attire and carry a spear - but not if you are an Aboriginal, or of Aboriginal descent.

Kids have been threatened big fines by their school for dressing up as coloured folks - painting their faces, etc.

That is PC that offends me. :p

But, what if someone is going to a fancy dress party and wants to go dressed as an Aboriginal, and has to go down to the shops on the way to the party to buy a six-pack of Jim Beam and cola? (or are we not allowed to use the word Aboriginal now)....see what I mean?

Have you walked around the main streets of Melb (or Syd) CBD lately and seen the variation of attire? It's fabulous.

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2016
    Perthguy and samiam like this.
  5. Bayview

Or white folks "white *****"? o_O

I'm not talking about racist slurs - that is a different issue (even then; shake it off, get over it and ignore it; it's just a word).

Seriously; you wanna hear the things I've been called over my lifetime....

It comes down to how you react....everyone has a choice.

Also; should everyone try to not offend? Of course. And most folks do.

But, when we start to have a culture of not raising discussions or issues because someone might get offended; that is dangerous.

I'm talking about stuff like; changing the name of the "Garbo" (short for "garbage collector" - the bloke who collects the garbage in the truck in your street at 5.00am) - to an "Environmental Management Officer" - so he doesn't has his self-esteem challenged. :rolleyes:

LibGS and Perthguy like this.
  6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

But so many people try to defend racism, discrimination and bullying, by yelling they shouldn't be bound by political correctness.

7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

And I might add, while many Greek people I know used to call people skips, and the like, I never bought into that mindset. I found it just as demeaning as being called a wog.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Obama did not want to call the Orlando massacre 'terrorism'. That is not correct.

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The term means a lot and in some circumstances is dangerous.

The question is who are you or I to determine what is correct, who will be the gate keeper?
    For hundreds of years it was the church, free speech is as important as free thought.

You or I may not like what Pauline Hansion says but she is entitled to say whatever she likes and if her arguments make sense we will agree with them.
    My stopping free speech with political correctness we fall into Group Think. Anyone with a outrageous idea deserves to be heard as much as anyone else as that idea surely took that person some effort to reach their conclusion.
    Cultural norms, taboos and accepted moral values are advanced by free speech not PC.

We need to differentiate between racism and challenging someone's behavior, beliefs, idea's and actions. At the moment we seem to be on a slippery slope where everyone is afraid to say what needs to be said.

Bayview, Perthguy and Phar Lap like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can but you may offend someone.

Bayview likes this.
  11. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Absolute corker post Hugh72.
    Thanks for some common sense in addressing this issue.
    Some people think they are the only ones.

HUGH72 and Bayview like this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    Tim ferriss podcast with Jamie foxx part 2 were just starting to touch on this topic that America is screwed too.
    Start listening from 29min. I haven't been able to listen yet
    [The Tim Ferriss Show] #167: Jamie Foxx Part 2 - Bringing the Thunder
    Podplayer - Podcast Addict web player via @PodcastAddict

13. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

You are not correct. It was not terrorism.

14. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Steve Hughes on being offended....

Angel and Bayview like this.
  15. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

No, its absolutely correct what he said. He called it an act of terror and hate, but not an Islamic terrorist attack. This is a smart and correct tactical move by the president, not political correctness.

Joynz likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

17. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

At the moment, the FBI investigation considers the primary motivations are a hate crime and mental illness. Overlap is certainly possible with terrorism.

U.S. authorities said on Monday they had found no direct links between Islamic State militants and the gunman who killed 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, describing him as a homegrown extremist who was inspired by radical Islamist groups.

"So far, we see no indication that this was a plot directed from outside the United States and we see no indication that he was part of any kind of network," FBI Director James Comey said in Washington. "We're highly confident this killer was radicalized at least in some part through the internet."

Terrorism is defined as using violence to achieve political aims. No one has been able to find his political aims. But because of politics, people will attach labels to it.

At the end of the day, 50 innocent people are dead.