Polishing Timber Kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Property Twins, 30th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi guys,

Does anybody have experiences with polishing a timber kitchen? Looking for ideas around what's involved? Think sanding and then furniture wax should go on it?

Who can be hired to do this sort of a job?

ta
    MsAli

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sanding, yes. Not so sure about the furniture wax in the kitchen because it's easier to clean paint than wax. Maybe an acrylic or some feast watson (oil paint/ lacquer). A painter could do it. Then again, I'm sure you could m do it too. :)
    Are you talking cupboards?

bob shovel and Property Twins like this.
  3. Property Twins

Thanks WattleIdo. Yeh just the cabinet doors......

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Usually these are factory finished, so taking the doors off and sending to somewhere like Balmain Stripping then to a paint shop might work. Respray would need to be done in a spray booth to prevent dust etc. There may be an issue if you have end panels etc to be sprayed unless you can get these off as well.

Property Twins likes this.
  5. Property Twins

I see Murphy's Oil Soap is something used also?

@Scott No Mates - wow that would be a big exercise :)

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You can go and buy a nice little electric sander from Bunnings if you want but cupboards are a bit finicky so you will probably need to hand sand anyway. Hand sanding should be fine.
    Remove the cupboard doors with a screwdriver. Put them somewhere flat in the shade, you will no doubt make a mess of some kind no matter how careful you are. Wipe them down.
    Buy the sand paper in rolls. Yellow or white. Start with an 60 0r 80 grit to roughen them up a bit. Then follow up with a 120 grit to get them ready for painting. Always sand in the direction of the grain. No need to go hard.
    With a good paint brush (I really like the round ones) -not too big - carefully and gently paint on a coat of clear lacquer. Apparently Cabots yellows less than feast watson. To keep the lacquer clean, pour some of the lacquer into a bowl so that you're not always dipping the paintbrush into the tin. Leave for 24 hours. Brush over lightly with some 240 grit sandpaper and repeat.
    You need turps to clean up after painting and to soak your paint brush between coats.
    You need the sandpaper, lacquer and paintbrush.
    Take it easy. Go with the grain. Any mistakes can be fixed by waiting and sanding.

Of course, if you just want to paint them white or a colour, you only need an undercoat and the top coat in acrylic which is really easy to clean up.

7. Scott No Mates

Pop the hinges and the door comes off. They drop the doors into a caustic bath and it comes out as raw timber ready for refinishing.

Gockie and Property Twins like this.
  8. Property Twins

Wow thanks for the info @WattleIdo. I think I will still need to hire someone. Pressed on time as well. Though this gives me some great understanding of what needs to be done so it's done properly!

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Property Twins

Is "caustic bath" easily available? ta

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's a pity you are not in Brisbane,if they are solid pine panels,then all you would need to is unpin the door and drop they off at a place like this,2 days later it will look brand new or as aged as you like,plus if you look hard enough into the brick face on the link you can see just how far that area floods..excuse the name a mate of mine started that business in 1974,,been sold a few times..
    The Strippers-Paint Stripping Brisbane |

11. Property Twins

@willair thanks for this. What are these businesses called? Perhaps I could find something similar in Sydney?

How do I tell it's solid pine? It's timber :D That's all I could guess

12. Scott No Mates

Not something that I would recommend as a beauty treatment as part of a regime but it's an industrial process of dipping the material in a hot caustic bath (paint stripper) - toxic.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Business name wise, search under paint removal or window restoration and just ask within those business models who does this type of work,the panels will be mdf,chipboard,or solid pine,the only way to tell would be by weight,or on the back of the door look to see if it's one press out panel,or there will be a join linked,if it's framed then it may be pine,imho..

14. Property Twins

Thanks Guys appreciated. Will also ask our handyman whose a carpenter by trade.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A lot of people like to do stripping themselves at home. I prefer to hire a professional stripper. ;-)

The Y-man and Westminster like this.
  16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

First question - why does it need polishing? It might be better to actually replace the doors in the kitchen if you want to modernise/improve it rather than stripping and re varnishing the current doors. They may be very attractive doors though in which case it takes a lot of wear and tear before a solid timber door needs redoing.

17. Property Twins

@Westminster - we love the kitchen. Some of them have had a bit of wear and tear and would prefer restoring...

More like 6 doors need polish out of several...near the stove and the sink mainly

18. Westminster

Gotcha - they are the ones that are probably used the most. I agree then that strip and varnish is probably the way to go. I wouldn't do wax in a kitchen as it needs to be redone all the time and not suitable to reply on tenants to do that.

19. Property Twins

Ah ok....what's Strip and Varnish? Does it include sanding?

20. Westminster

It depends on what was originally put on the wood when it was last done. If it's just varnish you might be able to use this Selleys 4L Polystrippa

If it's polyurethane then you'll probably have to take it to one of the people/shops mentioned above and have it professionally 'stripped' back to bare wood.

Do you have any photos? I hope it's not some cheap veneer on it.