Police Clearance an Eye Opener

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 14th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just helping someone who just found out they have a conviction against their name after applying for a job, they had no idea this was the first time they had to provide a police clearance.

Minor offence which included a fine $500 and did not go to court. I am baffled as to why they would even receive a conviction.

You can apply for spent conviction order and they meet all the criteria, except you must qualify which means after a 10 year period, unfortunately they have another 4 years before they qualify.

Apparently if the conviction involved possessing cannabis the qualifying period is only a 3 year period. Go figure....

I wonder how many employers ask for a police clearance, excluding the obvious working with children, government departments??

MTR

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If I cast my mind back to the employee days I dont recall an employer NOT asking for a police clearance.

legallyblonde and Bran like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Must be a finance thing. I have never been asked for a police clearance. I have lost track now but I might have had 30 jobs in total including casual work while at Uni.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tell them don't try to get into the USA visa system with something like that for the 5 years .. Spent conviction in QLD after 10 years, Victoria i don't think it counts but with the US IF you were stupid enough to lie on the visa and they find out you would be on the first plane out of the country at your cost,and even when you tell them the honest truth in Pitt St ,as they flip the screen around and your whole life is in front of you,then it takes 20 weeks to get a us business visa after you pay the fee and hand over your passport for 20-24 weeks to be sent to the US..

5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Nah this was pre finance career :)

It must because you have an honest face haha!

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This person lived in USA 2 years ago, no issue with visa etc

7. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I worked for a pharmaceutical company years ago and had to have a police clearance. Also worked for a hospital a few years later and had to get a police clearance. (FYI I'm an IT person not health care professional)

8. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I employ convicted criminals. Pretty much have to in my line of work, not much other choice. Kids don't grow up saying 'Im going to be a spraypainter when I grow up......' Break and enter, assault, drugs, rape - you name it. Some guys have spent more time in jail than out!

I don't discriminate because of their past. They are generally the best workers.

Work hard, play harder.

pinkboy

legallyblonde, Bran, D.T. and 3 others like this.
  9. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

In our business we insist on a police clearance to employ somebody. It is not compulsory but we do it as a matter of best practice for us.

I know other businesses in a similar line of work that have had staff with a record. Sometimes you can investigate the issue - if it was a long time ago and their are mitigating factors you might be able to recognise those mitigating factors in your decision. It is not an instant no (but it is definately not good).

10. willair

It's in one of the questions within the questions you just tick off for the simple online 10 question visa ,and when you open the link,even when they never receive a conviction recorded they still have to declare what happened time date end result ect ,and they will know..
    Then they will not let you into the US Boarders,and even when you get the visa after 20 -25 weeks and they tell you upfront don't ring before 20 weeks
    they will still pull you aside in a room to ask why your in America and on what business as they pull you from the entry que..

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My step-daughter works for a company where every immediate family member had to fill out a form for ASIO clearance ... trying to remember the dates for every overseas trip in the last 10 years was a real brain-teaser

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The security clearance process apparently can go far beyond police clearance. It's not necessary to list every single place you've ever visited, only those places in the last x years where you or an immediate member of your family living with you have ever spent overnight. That's only one bit.

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think any job that allow direct or indirect access to confidential information (people's contact, financial details, medical details, etc) should have clearance... And those who has access to house ... Like dog walker...

MTR and Ross Forrester like this.
  14. willair

ESTA - Apply Online.

Maybe they never understood the question,just go down the page into the
    mandatory questions section,and look at "C",,and once you open the next page the word ever comes up several times,and they can back go from day one..

15. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

My hubby had to get his first ever police clearance a couple of years ago for a job. Came back with a conviction for possession of cannabis in Darwin...5 years before he'd even been to Australia. Turned out it was someone else with the same name. Hilarious though, you couldn't really meet someone less likely to be involved with cannabis. Unless they start producing it with fruit scones and a large mug of tea.

Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is it a WA thing? Seems a lot stricter for requiring all sorts of clearances... which all come at a cost and time to process!

Im not familiar with the USA but i know two guys who were going over both had convictions one guy ticked "no" and the other one was honest and ticked "yes" .... the honest guy had to wait close to 12 months before he was allowed in. The other guy was on his way on holiday! :) no dramas

Colin Rice likes this.
  17. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

@MTR .... what was the person convicted of? ps love the new profile pic !

18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I can see a bit of cleavage though, could be a bit risque!

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This person needed to pee, no toilets so hid behind car and got done, young and embarrassed, so paid $500 no idea of consequence

20. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Haha !!

21. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

How do drink driving convictions affect tourist visas?

I saw a guy refused entry to Canada from the states because of a DD conviction on one of those border security shows. Seems a little harsh.

England don't seem so picky. My BIL has more DD convictions than socks and had no trouble getting into the UK - maybe he lied.

22. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I provided a reference for a friend going through a security check. The questioning was quite extensive. Apparently they have stepped up their interest in overseas travel - you have to provide information going back 10 years. He has been an IT consultant for a multinational these past 10 years, and I think he actually filled a passport in half that time. We were both living overseas (me in London, him in the Netherlands) and we did a bit of travel together over that time. When I was asked "do you know which countries he has been to in the last 10 years?" my answer was "all of them..."

He actually spent bit of time jumping between China and Korea, which often raises some questions at security check points.

Cheers,
    Intertia.

geoffw likes this.
  23. SOULFLY3

SOULFLY3 Well-Known Member

I did this in Mexico & had a gun pointed at my head by the cops
    Corrupt taxi notifed police and they made me drive to an ATM to pay them off $350 US
    :mad: First night in Mexico too