PM wants hotwater replaced immediately without consultation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by charlie01, 5th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I just received an email from my PM (Brisbane), informed me that he has arranged to have hotwater replaced at my IP. The email clearly said "no need to quote".

I was furious so I emailed back, asking him why hotwater didn't have hotwater, why it must be replaced immediately and why he didn't want to get a quote.

Then he replied, saying "we have recently had a phone call from your tenants from xxxx (address) to let us know that the hot water system has failed. We have asked them to check that the tank is full, safety switch on and also other taps etc. within the property. They have done this but onoe of troubleshooting tips have restored hot water.As this is considered emergency maintemance, we have arranged for xxx (plumber) to attend and repaire the system. If it requires replacement, we have asked them to call onsite with a price..."

It seems to me the hot water problem didn't happen today. If the PM treated the matter as an emergency, he should have told me immediately after receiving a call from the tenants so that I could have had the worst scenario in advance, that is, get a quote for the replacement.

In my own place I had three days without hot water last year and also 2 days without hot water this year because of Enegex's fault (off peak power supply problem). I nearlly had my hot water system replaced unnecessarily.

At the moment, I'm wating for futher message from the PM.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie01,

Could the phrase 'replace' have been misinterpreted?

From your second paragraph it sounds like there was an issue, the PM at least had the nounce to run through a checklist. No luck, then they arranged a plumber to attend to investigate and if the unit is dead, call while onsite for a price - I'd say that would be a quote.

I'd do the exact same thing. Get the call from a tenant, determine whether sparky/plumber needed to attend. Have them attend and if it's dead, come back to me with a price. Ring a couple of my other contacts to see if I got the best deal. In the interim, update the owner and come back to them with a good price and seek authorisation to proceed.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

If it is broken get it replaced. If not don't.

Nothing worse for a tenant having ppl fapp around 'he said she said'. They need hot water.

MB18, Perp, Michael Mitchell and 2 others like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, it is considered emergency maintenance as it is an essential service. Emergency in that is must be replaced asap, not emergency because it has taken a weeks/days/hours/minutes to get to this point after investigation.

Consider yourself lucky that they didn't want it replaced last week at 4.30pm on Friday of a long weekend

qak, gman65, Marg4000 and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Emergency repairs
    The Act (QLD RTA) states emergency repairs include a failure or breakdown of an essential service or appliance on premises for hot water, cooking or heating.

The property manager/owner must organise and pay for any emergency repairs. The tenant should try to contact the property manager/owner or nominated repairer. If neither can be contacted, the tenant can get a suitably qualified person to carry out emergency repairs to a maximum value of two weeks’ rent, or can apply to the Tribunal for an order about the repairs

Perp and luckyone like this.
  6. charlie01

I never denied that it's an emergency. However, I would like to be informed immediately by the PM, and if necessary I'm happy to arrange the hot water supplied and installed on the same day.
    However it doesn't mean that PM should make any decision without contacting me immediately while I can be contacted easily.
    I don't think anyone here gets hot water system replaced without getting a couple of quotes first.

7. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

maybe separate ur angst with agent from sorting out tenant with hot water. Once hot water on, sack agent and get another one. Then tenant has hot water (awesome) and you get a new agent (maybe awesome)

qak, jared7825 and charlie01 like this.
  8. charlie01

Thanks for the input. I just emailed PM and provided him with details of replacement hot water system and quote. I'm eager to get the thing sorted out ASAP, as I understand what's the life like without hot water in winter.
    I've noticed the cost difference (for the supply and installation) can be as high as $400.

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We don't get quotes because we have trusted plumbers. In the past, I've considered buying the system but it's so much easier that the plumber buy it, because they also pick it up and they get a discount, which generally would be passed on. At least when you are using a trusted tradie that should happen.

Last few times we've had a unit fail, it's been replaced the same day. But we had direct contact with tenants (self managing).

10. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Hot water is always considered emergency.

I got screwed over Xmas, had one of my investments the hot water tank broke on boxing day. Had emergency callout and plumber installed temp hot water tank to last the tenants because everything was closed.

The agent didnt tell me that the plumber was charging me $30 per day to hire this temp solution and that he was going to go on holidays until the 6th of Jan or something. WTF!!! Why wouldnt they tell me that - I could arrange someone to go out on the 27th - 31st and replace it rather than paying the plumber to "hire" his system and what's worse is he tried charging me $1800 to install a 250L tank.

I got it fully done for $1200 by someone else for the exact same tank and brand. Then he charged me again to go out and collect the temp solution.

datto and luckyone like this.
  11. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Sounds like a proactive PM. Maybe there's a language barrier? That spelling isn't that great.

12. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

They are getting it repaired urgently. if it needs replacing, they will get a quote from the plumber.

What is your spend limit for the PM in your agreement? This will determine whether they will be able to replace the unit without your say so.

13. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Was that necessary?
    Comment on someone's spelling.

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I wonder how old is the system?

How much are they going to slug you?

What's the problem with the system? Is the tank leaking? Is it the thermostat or switch? The fuse perhaps? Or is it the element?

If the tank is leaking then ok new one needed. If it's the other issues then they can be fixed for about $200 or less.

I'd be looking at getting your own trusted plumbers and sparkies up there.

15. charlie01

That's the advantage of self managing IP. You're the first point of contact and you have a list of trusted tradies you can hire.
    As I use PM to manage IP, I have no idea as to which tradies they hire unless they tell me beforehand. Based on my experience, about 1/3 of tradies can be trusted, 1/3 of tradies cannot be trusted, and the rest 1/3, you have to keep an eye on them.

PM didn't provide me with any of these information in his first email, which only mentioned about getting the hot water system replaced. That's why I was really p1ssed off.

I had the hot water system installed about 14 years old. I still got my photo record.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

14 years is a good run. I got one that is 16 years old. A big Aqualux brand installed by Kookaburra Plumbing out St Marys way. Touch wood it don't go tomorrow.

Over the years it has stopped working on a number of occasions eg fuse blown, element and thermostat. I've always had it repaired. Until the tank goes it will always be repaired. Save money that way.

You got to find out the reason the hot water stopped and see if there is an easy fix.

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
    Barcelona likes this.
  17. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check the pressure valve which may only leak at night when it's heating up.
    [​IMG]

18. charlie01

just an update:
    This afternoon I got a call from PM's plumber. He couldn't find out why the hot water didn't heat up. I declined his offer to replace the hot water system for me because, as expected his quote was much higher than the quote I've got from elsewhere.
    I just spoke to a hotwater supplier and ordered one. Hopefully it will be delivered and installed tomorrow.
    I will disassemble the old one (autopsy) this weekend and find out what went wrong.

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I've always failed to understand why "hot water" is considered an essential service !

I guess many won't remember the Longford gas explosion that left Victoria without gas for weeks (basically half of the state had gas hws)........

If it's a rainy day and no one gets home in time to turn on the off peak solar hot water (like today in Sydney) we have to boil the kettle to wash the dishes and again to use a facewasher to wash ourselves !

If you can't manage for 48 hours you are "SOFT" :p

Last edited: 6th May, 2021
    datto and Archaon like this.
  20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The difference is that it is your choice to leave the hot water off. So of course you are fine with boiling the jug for a face wash.

But the tenants aren’t choosing to turn off the hot water; naturally they’re upset.

Perp and Firefly99 like this.