PM said saying no to pets means...

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Synergy, 28th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

Specifically I did not want tenants to bring cats so I said no to pets in the sign up forms. PM said that saying no to pets you will lose 90% of potential tenants. How true is this?

House will be brand new in November.

Can I say to put a pet clause in there or? We in qld.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Cats can't read, so they will ignore the clause.

The Y-man

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you mean "they will ignore the claws"? :p

We've always allowed pets, and have never had stampedes of willing applicants. We don't have carpets or expensive curtains, so there's not much in an old Queenslander that a cat or dog can really hurt.

We have had a very anxious dog chew a french door with his teeth though, but the tenants fixed it up before leaving.

I'm not sure (these days) that you can stop a tenant getting a pet? It seems to be one of those grey areas.

4. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

Just this will be our first IP and basically worried about everything. I did say yes to pets but cats concern me

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

6. The Y-man

Fully understand this. I think one of the big learnings for me over the years is: don't be too precious about your IP.

If you ARE too precious about it, you may have spent too much on it, bought the wrong type of property, too worried, or all of the above.

You'd be surprised how much humans can wreck in an IP compared to a cat or dog.

You'd also be surprised how relatively easily things can be fixed/spruced (I accidentally typed "screwed" - probably true too! :D) up, repaired etc.

When I say the wrong type of property, sometimes we buy a beautiful property (like a fresh never before lived in OTP) with lovely window furnishings, the best paint work and top end kitchen as an IP.

IMHO - that's just asking for heartbreak.

Owning an IP is a business of providing accommodation. You need a robust, easy to maintain property that can be given a fresh coat of paint often, carpets that can be changed almost as often as tenants, etc etc.

The Y-man

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2019
    Rugrat, KayTea, EN710 and 7 others like this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Does that mean a cat concerns you more than say, a dog?
    Honestly how much damage do you think a cat (or even a couple of cats) can do to your IP, worst case scenario? Humans are much better at putting holes in walls and trashing carpets.

Perp and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

You can just say 'no cats' or 'pets considered'. It is really up to you. I have a couple of properties where I allow pets and some I don't. Not necessarily dependent on whether the property is new or not but the type of property. Up to you entirely.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  9. The Y-man

Having a mum that owns both in her house, I can vouch a playful cat can do a HEAP more damage to carpet (especially on stairs) and woodwork than a dog ever could. Not wanting to make the OP panic, but really comes back to having things like unscratchable smooth gloss enamel on all framework, no carpet on stairs if possible (or maybe cheap easily replaceable ones). Most responsible cat lovers will get scratching posts etc.

Dogs on the other hand ~ probably on par with human kids.

Cats and dogs in general do not:
    - leave cigarette burns in carpet
    - leave a hot iron on the carpet
    - place hot cookware directly on your counter top
    - leave the bath running plugged until it floods
    - leave the oven running until it catches fire

(Yep, we've had all those with human tenants)

The Y-man

Redwing, Archaon, Perp and 3 others like this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Renting out a brand new house is going to be stressful.

No property stays “brand new” for long, and “reasonable wear and tear” will mean small stains on carpet, minor marks on walls and the odd scratch or tear here or there.

Just keep everything as plain and simple as possible, no fancy landscaping or decor.

Brace yourself!

Perp and Lindsay_W like this.
  11. WellKnow

WellKnow Well-Known Member

if you say no to pet any potential tenant with a pet will look elsewhere. Which means you are reducing your pool of potential tenants.

And as with what everyone have said a human can cause much more damage to an IP than a cat or dog can. I have a large dog at home he muddies the floor specially over winter everyday. Does he wreck the house - No, is it something a quick mop will fix - Yes, does he damage the house - No.

2 of our IPs are rented out to families with pets(1 was a brand new H&L), have any pets damaged the property - No have the humans damaged the property - Yes (kids put a cricket ball through the window and in the other GF accidentally drove into the garage door)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Also dont forget, cats and dogs generally pee outside or the kitty litter
    Not all tenants do

13. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you say, 'No pets', there's a chance that prospective tenants will simply not disclose the pet. In Victoria you can't evict a tenant for having a pet unless the pet is actually damaging the property.

Saying, 'Pets considered', is more likely to have pets disclosed, then you can decide to accept or reject the application. It also means people who have a goldfish will still apply. ;)

Redwing, Ted Varrick, Rugrat and 9 others like this.
  14. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Sounds like you bought a PPOR not an IP.

@The Y-man is spot on.

Lindsay_W, Morgs and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

When we were looking for a rental a few months ago we were surprised at the number of places that wouldn’t allow our dog. They all stayed on the market much longer.

I agree about cats causing way more damage than dogs.

I also think you’re being precious though, as others have said, humans do damage too.

Perp and Dan Wood like this.
  16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Recommend a Pets upon application clause. That at least allows for disclosure & your consideration.

Also agree with comments above... humans have done far more damage to our properties than pets ever have, especially the not yet fully grown ones....

Perp, Hetty and Dan Wood like this.
  17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Incidentally, by this time next year, you probably won't be allowed to reject an application on the basis of the tenant owning a pet in Victoria.

Perp likes this.
  18. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I guess the PM wants to rent it out faster and start making money!
    Is the property in a sought after location with minimal rental stock? If not, allowing a pet may be beneficial.

I like the idea of putting "pets considered" to get the truth and from there you can choose.

19. The Y-man

For the last IP I bought, the selling agent must have thought we were dog owners (we're not) because we seemed so impressed with the big dog proof yard (i.e. lawn and paving - no flower beds), cyclone fencing and proper cyclone gates around the perimeter (unusual for inner melbourne) and a big "caution - ferocious big dog" sign out the front.

Of course as soon as we put it up for rent, the main headline for the ad had to be "DOG FRIENDLY" :D

The Y-man

Dan Wood and The Gambler like this.
  20. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Strange, I've had two cats and one large dog and the dog definitely did more damage, the only things the cats destroyed was our couch and boy did they destroy it!

Rugrat and Hetty like this.