QLD PM holding back rent money

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Propin, 5th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

It’s been 12 weeks since the tenants vacated. On the final inspection the PM got a quote to rectify cloudy pool. The had two attempts with no proof of fixing it and it kept turning green within days of them attending. They blamed it on the rain. I ended up fixing it with my own contractor who said it was from long term chlorine tablet use and was extremely acidic and it took him around 4 trips to correct the balance. He said the previous contractor didn’t do their job properly and it was not caused by (acid) rain. I’ve asked PM to not pay the people they contracted and reimburse me instead. They will not reply to this request. They are also with holding rent money against this quote which I don’t think should be paid and was supposed to be taken from the bond when that is sorted. Is this normal to hold back owners rent money? How can I dispute this quote? Go directly to company? Are these questions for Small Claims, RTA or REIQ? The tenants had until 24/12/20 to dispute with QCAT. I’m dealing directly with owner of PM Agency but getting no answers on my queries.

2. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I don’t think the issue is about holding back rent money but rather is it possible to not pay someone for a job they have quoted because the job performed wasn’t up to scratch.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3 months to resolve a pool issue - smacks of incompetence even if they're closed for Christmas.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I had a 12' x 5' x 2.5' above ground which had yellowish coloured water due to the large number of kids the tenant allowed in to use it over a summer. PM got tenant to replace the lining.

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I would hope so as it could have caused expensive damage and repairs over time. Why should you get paid if you can’t do your job properly, and why hold back landlords income for a tenants expense also.

It’s been 3 months of me asking questions and not getting answers. After 6 weeks of cloudy and green pool I employed my own guy that I’ve been using for 12 years. He attended that day and after 4 visits it was clear and no issues. He couldn’t get any reading on the pool for a couple of days as acidity level was beyond what machine can register. After adding 4 kg PH Buffer, 4 KG soda Ash and clarifier it did the trick. Pool was unable to absorb chlorine before that due to high acidity. The previous company had taken a couple of weeks to attend, had taken a pic of half green pool. I asked if that was finished product without any answer it continued to get greener over the following weeks. I finally got them to go out again, they blamed it on the rain, I’m not sure what they did but over the weeks it was green again. It appears they did something on the two occasions but never followed up if there something fixed any issues. So I’ve paid my guy who fixed the issue. I was advised initial company could not have done there job as it was so bad and needed so much rectifying. First company has not been paid yet - I have no answers as to what they added or if they even made it worse but it was never clear after attending and 6 weeks of chlorine went to waste since it couldn’t be absorbed. Total of $800 between the two companies to get the job done is a lot of money.
    Haha, I wish! We Spent $2500 a year earlier on a new liner as we couldn’t prove the brittle liner was caused from misuse although there was several chemical marks on it.

Michael Mitchell, AxeLy and datto like this.
  6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I would show the RA that you are serious and send them a letter of demand and tell them you want a response on the issue within a reasonable time frame or you will take legal action.

Propin likes this.