Plumbing/settlement agent issues

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Christian77, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Christian77

Christian77 Active Member

Hi, we recently (18 August) moved in in our house, and after a couple weeks a found out there is a major leak somewhere around the house, I called the watercorp and the bill is roughly 1100$, they told me that our house was flagged for over usage at the beginning of July.
    2 weeks before settlement our agent (thanks god) picked up that there was some unusual water bills and after ask the seller settlement agent she was told that the owner told her that they had a plumber coming in and fixed the problem.
    Today after few calls with watercorp I understood that from what they can see and say there’s been not slowing down in the leak, so we are guessing no fixed was done.
    Now the problem is,that no the plumber ( that he actually hung up on me) and the seller settlement agent want to give us any proof of what was done, and the he didn’t have to do a follow up the check the water metre reading.
    They are pretty much blaming each other and trying to say that we are going to be the liable ones.
    We are definitely going to fix the problem in the next couple days, but I think we will have to fight really hard to get the money back specially if involved break walls or paving.
    Can anyone help us to understand where we stand and if there’s any institutions to call and ask for help.
    Thank you very much
    Christian

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its likely your problem now. you shouldn't have settled without proof it was fixed.
    Best to seek legal advice.

hobartchic likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You may have building warranties with the home builder (they will address the plumber not you) and the issue appears urgent and if they apply the water use may also fall within the claim. Speak to a lawyer...a conveyancer cant progress a legal claim.

I wouldnt be rushing into any work without checking this as the builder may not have a liability if you commence any work.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How old is the house?

When there has been a leakage, the water company may reduce the bill (even if it’s only partial - there was mention of this in another thread in the last few months).

5. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Depends on what what the plumber means by fixing the leak and if the previous owner took the cheapest option.
    Most leaks occur in the first 10 metres of pipe onto the property from the main line that runs down the street ,over time you get a buildup of calcium and othet crap and all you need is a hole the size of a pinhole and hey presto.
    Checkout the front garden for any nice green grass.
    The cheap option is to repair the actual small section where the pinhole is , but the reality is the entire section should be replaced to where it enters the house as its probably all corroded, especially the first 10 metres from the main line .
    Just out of curiosity which city are you in ??.
    Desalination plants also can help corrode the pipework , and again this normally happens in the first 10 metres of a smaller diameter line running of a larger line.

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2018
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I had a leak spraying from the copper pipe to my kitchen tap - under the house so only noticed it because the bricks got saturated from the inside and I saw the water stain when it finally soaked through to the outside of the bricks...

7. Christian77

The leaks is coming up through the paving on the back of the house, I’m in Cockburn council, the plumber said he fixed something along the garage but he hasn’t got any proofs on what was done

8. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

According to the plumber we used recently in Perth part of the problem is in desalinated water , which according to him still has minut quantities of salt and will cause copper piping to corrode at a faster rate.

9. Christian77

Any chance that you know a legal advisor here in Perth willing that help? Thank you very much