Plumbing quote - is this reasonable?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by EN710, 29th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Problem:

The sanitary house drain was blocked up all the way up to level with the toilet. The drain is very blocked with tree roots and has been for some time.

There is a significant crack in the drain shown in the photo below. How many or to what extent is unknown.The camera head is approx. 35mm thick and was unable to proceed and further. There is a small gap but unsure how far this goes for.

The sanitary house drain has unknown amount of tree roots in the 2 main branches of the drain. The back yard has some large trees and possible movement which may have contributed tree root penetration. In It’s current state it might be only a few days before it blocks again.

Suggested solution:
    Create a completely new plumbing connection and abandon the old one (it's old clay pipe) rather than trying to do spot fixes

Quote: $5K :oops:
    upload_2016-4-29_8-59-54.png

Any input?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just find out the cost for the concrete cutting around the building,that may bump up the price,
    but for 5k that is a good price..imho..

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just asked, the plumber said it's included for just what they need to do

Seems like my old property is always having issue the 2nd year after I buy them! The other one had broken HWS ($2K) and broken gas pipe ($2.5K). Dear esteemed more experienced PCers - do you ever get used to this?

TMNT likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Always good around tax time when all the receipts add up,and that's maybe the only problem with older properties,they require more maintenance,as long as the land value goes up then everything works itself out..

EN710 likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

True. I hope no more maintenance for a while!

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Just had the same issue on our own house which we are renovating.

There was a blockage on the old pipe so we decided just to replace all of the clay piping (we also had a few new connections to do).

We got in a drainer to do all of the new piping (@$300 per day) along with a labourer to assist with digging and jackhammering - we provided the materials ourselves.

In our case it took around two weeks to complete - so the cost would be similar to the quote you have received. Not sure how the scope of works would compare across the jobs.

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Tonibell Given if the machine and labour (he need someone who can dig for piping, not just digging) he said it should be done within one day. There is tenant in the property so I want to reduce the inconvenience and down time as much as possible (who likes to stay in a house without toilet?)

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds about right to me compared to cost when we did this about ten years ago.

EN710 likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

no, I seem to be calling out plumbers every fortnight across the portfolio

its always, toilet is blocked due to tree roots, or hws is either not hot/lasting long enough, or hws is dead

soemtimes I ask my self if this is normal or just bad luck

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Murphys Law of Property Repairs

1. When its listed for sale its always described as newly renovated. Soon after settlement a major issue will be identified
    2. A HWS will always fail just after acquisition
    3. If the property has solar, the panel type or controller unit is no longer available
    4. Tenants use three times the amount of loo paper as owners and consider anything can be flushed but only in a property with tree root issues
    5. The newer the property the less likely a repair will not be required ? Right. No. The HWS or other major item will fail
    6. Cost of repairs in inverse to cashflow.
    7. The greater the cost the less likely it is to be tax deductible
    8. Cut outs for appliances in benchtops are always too big for the replacement that is affordable.
    9. Burst water issues always are in proximity to carpet and rarely outside

Gingin, vbplease and EN710 like this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI Nice list, I should hang this on the wall

UHHH.... UHHHHH...... Please I hope not. I guess I will know in 2 months when I send my tax summary stuff :(

12. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

" There is a significant crack in the drain shown in the photo below. How many or to what extent is unknown.The camera head is approx. 35mm thick and was unable to proceed and further. There is a small gap but unsure how far this goes for. "
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would question weather or not it needs replacing

*do they usually use an eel to clear it
    *How often dose it block
    *what in what area's dose it block
    *what size eel head have they been using
    *do you have a plan of sanitary design

*do they run the eel through all the drains
    from the house to the main

*did you get a second opinion
    ie next time it blocks meet another plumber onsite ,
    and become involved .

Corkey likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

HWS generally fail every 10-12 years if they are mains pressure unless the area has real low pressure, mine just blew up at 15 years, that is a very good run.

If you have places with the old clay pipes and lots of vegetation, your going to be doing tree roots often, it is just the way it is.

14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

The quote doesn't seem too exorbitant and I'd proceed based on the described damage..
    what movement are you referring to? Has there been movement in the house?

Once the sewer is changed to pvc, the source of moisture for the tree roots is removed. there is potential for drying out of the soil and subsequent settlement to exacerbate.. I'd keep an eye on this.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think they do? The last one they're using camera with 35mm head
    The area blocked is behind the house under concrete and run through towards the main drain. This is the 3rd time blocked in the last 3 months.

@vbplease he said general soil movements. It's an old 1960 house so I assume cracked clay pipe is common? bought the house end of 2014 no movements noted on the house. It's a mid-set Queenslander. Hoping. It won't cause damage though :oops: thank you for the warning.

16. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I have had several problems like this
    I would be pretty happy if the cost was about this.
    I have had bills double this price

EN710 likes this.
  17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys I have told them to go ahead, a bit of a dent on my pocket but better than have having to call plumber every week :oops:

18. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

Yep sanitary drainage dig ups - pick a number and add three naughts. $2k-$5k is nothing unusual. Concrete cutting, depth of trench and access problems bump the costs up.

19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just a quick update - this ended up to be $4500 (so $500 less than expected) and tenant said the plumber has been excellent :)

Gingin likes this.
  20. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

Yep I've taken some hits of that order. First hit in the order of $2K just working out what's wrong - e.g. removing 1 or more pans (WC), camera inspection etc. Hit number two $4.5k to dig up and repair. Hit number three $2k again six months later for the 'same' problem in a different location. Hit number four tree is getting removed.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia