Plumbing Q - Strata/Body Corporate

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Olly, 31st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Olly

Olly Member

Apparently there's a leak in my flat (bathroom shower area) which is staining the ceiling of the flat below. It's been checked out by a plumber (plotted pipe line, did thermal imaging and pressure test) and his conclusion is there is a problem I need to fix.
    My question is - where does my plumbing responsibility end and strata begin.
    The plumber concluded it's not a strata problem because it's situated within an (my) internal wall.
    I'm not trying to get out of this - I've already Ok'd to fix it. Just wondering how plumbing runs. I would have thought between the 2 walls of a double brick building, but if it's my internal wall then it's actually through the bricks which didn't sound right to me. My RE agent also said this strata mob is as shonky as hell so checking for that reason as well.

TIA

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Go make an insurance claim - got to cough up the excess

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IIRC that may be deflected to the BC if the bathroom is original however if you/previous owners have retiled the room, touchef the plumbing, affected the waterproof membrane etc in any way, it becomes your problem but still to be sorted by strata management in the first instance.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

He is a plumber not a strata manager. I think you have a good chance of the BC paying for it so ask the question direct to them.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The plumber isn't a strata manager but was correct. This pipe will be a lot owner responsibility, assuming it only serves your lot.

Plumbers who do a lot of strata work can get very good at applying the rules, which helps. It's better than having plumbers sent to site to evaluate a cause, then have to submit the report for evaluation before proceeding, when a decision made 'on-the-spot' can often get a cheaper repair (save the subsequent call-out).

Internal walls usually have no cavity, so the pipe would probably be chased into the wall - as you describe. That is normal.

Lil Skater and Colin Rice like this.
  6. Olly

Olly Member

"I'm not trying to get out of this - I've already Ok'd to fix it. "
    You must have missed this bit. :)

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Tell your plumber I said sorry :D